Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the others...your hexs are beautiful, but subtle..your fence is too strong as it is now.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Finally...my OBW top is finished...had debated whether to add another (black) border but I think I'll just use black binding. Other than the skinny black inner border, I used the original fabric for the other. The top and bottom are wider than the sides, to make it more oblong. I'm pretty happy with it (although it's subtle)...am thinking of a batik for the backing. And then my first FMQ attempt!

BTW, for those of you who have been following, I dropped the "fence" idea and made some whirlygigs (?) to create some motion. I have one hexagon left -- was thinking of maybe appliqueing it into the border, but it might add too much bulk.

Animal morph OBW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52281[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52281.jpe  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I love it!!!!!

so many of my students surpassed the teacher!

Okay, all of the students surpassed the teacher!!!!!! I am so happy!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM

That is very pretty! Isn't cutebuns a great teacher?!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM

This is beautiful. Love the changes, maybe you could put the last Hexagon crossing the black inner border into the outside border. Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM

I LIKE IT! I also like skinny back borders, they add a touch of elegance to a quilt.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Awesome Job! I too like the narrow black border inside your wider original fabric border. It's just wonderful!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
This is beautiful. Love the changes, maybe you could put the last Hexagon crossing the black inner border into the outside border. Just a thought.
That's exactly what I was thinking...but I'm still concerned about adding bulk/stiffness in one spot (usually appliques don't have so many pieces/sems) to a quilt that's intended to be used as a cuddly lap quilt. But I'm inexperienced with that. Would I attach it using fusible webbing? And then sew around the edges?

Thank you all for your compliments! And special thanks for Cutie for getting this all started and providing tons of guidance along the way. It has been very helpful reading everyone's posts about what they tried. I think we should start a new thread with pretty much just the pictures of all the finished quilts (I keep going back through the many many pages of this thread [and the previous threads] to view them).
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM

I use 'steam a seam light' to attach machine appliques before I sew them on. You can just use it on the perimeter of your design and then cut out the pieces underneath that would make it too bulky. You need to read up on this before trying it, but it is easy. There are lots of free tutorials on the web that will show you how to do this. I haven't done it yet but am going to use this method on the quilt I am making for my son. Otherwise I would be able to explain it, but better to find out from someone who really knows. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Why not use a low tack masking, or 'Frog brand', tape to identify the rows? That's what I have done on other quilts and it works fine. I've found when I've moved rows that a pin or two will fall out. Don't ask me how I found them :(. I have got to get the carpet out of that sewing room, and put in hardwood or tile. LOL

KathyDe