Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A TIP for you

Hi I found this neat tip today and thought what a good idea it was, here it is:

"I go through needles quite quickly. It was always a dilemma as to how to dispose of them. I finally hit upon the idea to use an old saltshaker that sat on one of my shelves in my sewing room. Now I just pop the old needles in, and I don't have to worry about stepping on pieces or the pets getting into the wastebasket, etc."

Got to go find a saltshaker now LOL

Elle

I use an old prescription bottle (child proof cap of course) to store my old, broken needles. When the bottle is full, I just throw it away. :wink: (My Bernina dealer refers to this as "Needle Heaven"...

Blog Entries
    I do the precription bottle thing too. I'm pretty klutzy and turn the waste basket over all the time...it was getting pretty risky to walk barefooted in my sewing area before the pill bottle. :oops:

I do the prescription bottle as well or I save the old needle boxes for SCHMETZ needles...or I have also created a square of leftover coaster (fabric with the stiff stuff in the middle) that I slide them into...
    I always worry if I break a needle about the little peices.
    K

I usually just wrap the pieces in Scotch tape and drop it into the wastebasket. I will take out one of my salt shakers tomorrow. Child-proof caps are very difficult for my fingers.

If you still have a 35mm camera, the little plastic containers the film comes in works great too. WHEN it comes time that you've actually filled the container, make sure to make a note & tape it securely to the container when you put it into the waste.

I use the bottles from my blood testing strips

Me too, I use the RX bottles. I also dispose of my razor blades in them. I use them to rip out stitches.

Blog Entries
    The old med. bottle. And I use the old broken ones I use them to hang things on the wall.

I use the old presctription bottles too. My Dh punches a hole in the top so I just have to drop my needles in. Then throw the whole thing away when it gets full.

I do this too but don't have a lot of bottles to dispose of regularly, so I quickly put them on hold in a mini styrofoam ball tucked inside one of my drawers until I'm ready to collect and dispose of them

I'd like to switch to decorative shakers, though. What a cute idea, Elle. Thanks for sharing.

I have a container from instant coffee, that I am using. I also put in used rotarty blades or anything that is sharp. I can drop them off where they take sharps containers for insulin needles. The last one that I took was to the lab when I have my blood work done. But I do like the salt shaker idea, thanks. :)

What a brilliant idea. I will have tobuy more salt!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the ideas. I go thru rotary blades quick to. neat ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I use an old prescription bottle (child proof cap of course) to store my old, broken needles. When the bottle is full, I just throw it away. :wink: (My Bernina dealer refers to this as "Needle Heaven"...
    I do the same thing with my needles Sewjoyce!! It's so much safer! I encourage my students to the do same thing

Blog Entries
    I make my Rx bottle with used needles do double duty. I keep my NEW needles in a recipe box separated with Index cards marked for each needle size. When I put a new needle in my machine, I put the Rx bottle behind the index card marked with that size needle .

Great ideas, I did use the perscription bottles too. Then, my DIL (going to school to be a nurse :D ) gave me the RED Hazardous materials container :lol: Guess you can buy them at Wallyworld. Anyway, we also use needles to give shots to calves and such so we really did need the container. It is large enough to use it for all sorts of sharp stuff that I don't want to be poked with in the trash as I bag it up.

JoanneS...that is a great idea also about the receipe box for new needles. Thanks :D