Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM

I guess none of us can really appreciate the passion someone has for something we just really aren't into or couldn't imagine wanting to be into. If someone were to ask me about quilting but didn't seem interested in any more than a short explanation of why I do it or what I'm making, I try to think (fast) what THEY might appreciate about it. The art? The math? The perseverence? The giving of time to a person in need via a charity? The patriotism. Anything to make a connection of their desire to mine is worth a try.

If I can't think of anything that they be remotely interest, if they're just making small talk, I keep it short . "Quilting is relaxing and mentally stimulating at the same time." I figure who doesn't like to relax? And if they don't like mental stimulation, I am not interested in holding a conversation with them ,either, so it's a win-win!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM

This has been a great thread. Go to the guild meeting a few times and try to get involved if they have a workshop or sew in. Ask if they have groups that meet to sew together, you may not click with the first one but give it a try.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM

This thread makes me really appreciate my friend at work...she doesn't sew one bit but she is very interested in my hobby - asks lots of questions, remembers what I'm working on and asks for status updates, ooh's and ahh's over the things I bring in to show off... She is a really marvelous friend - I already knew that but this thread really reinforces it. She doesn't really have a similar hobby for me to reciprocate all that interest - I suppose you could say that her 6 yo daughter is her hobby. I don't know anything about raising kids (I don't really even like kids much, to be honest) but I keep up on her family life and do my best to keep track of what her daughter is doing in school, the names of her daughter's friends, what their family plans are for the upcoming weekend... Not things I would ordinarily give a fig about, but because it's important to my friend, it's important to me and I care.

We ARE planning on taking a knitting class together later this year, though. Both of us want to learn and neither of us know how, so that'll be a lot of fun.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

I did go and I had a lot of fun. I posted on a different thread. I paid the dues and am officially a member, and I feel so happy. Not having much in common with people at work, or even my own 3 sisters, this will really make me feel like part of something. One of the quilters retired from the middle school and had my kids in her home ec class. She recognized me - not sure if that's good or bad, lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
blue, I had a 1945 black and gold Singer in its original cabinet, with original manual, attachments, zipper foot in its own box. I was debating on selling it and my sister offered to take it to refinish the cabinet as she loves redoing anything. Well, a month ago I finally remembered to ask her how it came out.

Are you sitting down?

She told me she threw it out.

"I threw it out."

<thud> wh....wh...what?! She said it was too much to finish so she threw it out.

I cried right then and there (work email, lovely) and didn't talk to her for four days. I would have thought, knowing it was an antique and how much that meant, she would have at least asked if I wanted it back. Every time I see her now my first thought is that she threw out the antique black and gold Singer.
I feel your pain!...I love every one of my machines and am having a problem with doing what I said I would do...trade a refurbished White treadle sewing machine in a very nice cabinet that I have spent a lot of time on and has been where I see it daily...for a well cared for Singer Featherweight. I really do want that Featherweight but...I love how that White looks in my Garden Room. Guess I'll have to get busy on one of my other cabinets that needs to be finished for a Singer treadle that is just waiting for me to get going on it. If you get another antique machine, do it yourself. There is lots of helpful advice on the antique and vintage group, here on the QB. I hope another antique machine finds you!
</thud>

Last edited by blueheavenfla; 06-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.