Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
PS:If you want to see "eye rolls" and "eyebrows rise", just tell your non-sewing friends that you refinish and refurbish vintage and antique sewing machines (as I do).
blue, I had a 1945 black and gold Singer in its original cabinet, with original manual, attachments, zipper foot in its own box. I was debating on selling it and my sister offered to take it to refinish the cabinet as she loves redoing anything. Well, a month ago I finally remembered to ask her how it came out.

Are you sitting down?

She told me she threw it out.

"I threw it out."

<thud> wh....wh...what?! She said it was too much to finish so she threw it out.

I cried right then and there (work email, lovely) and didn't talk to her for four days. I would have thought, knowing it was an antique and how much that meant, she would have at least asked if I wanted it back. Every time I see her now my first thought is that she threw out the antique black and gold Singer.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
On the other hand, I did get the "eye-roll" when I talked about my other hobby, which is Dagorhir (competitive medieval reenactments) and including some comments on "quitting now that you're an adult" etc. Incredibly annoying. But if I was hitting the bars every weekend instead, no one would blink an eye.
That hobby sounds fascinating. The renaissance would be my time. So often I think I was born in the wrong century.

About the bars, that is so true. So many talk about how they golfed, or boated, or fished, or bbq'd, which always ends up with how much alcohol was consumed. I don't drink - I can, I just don't like to - and none of that sounds like fun to me in any way. They are so missing out! lol
Old 06-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Wink Eye roll !

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
A co-worker asked me what I was doing this weekend, and I said that today I was going to stay home, clean, and hopefully sew and tomorrow I was going to JoAnn's with my gs to pick out a pattern and fabric to make him summer pj's.

"OHHHHHH...." he says, looking around, "that's sounds like FUN <eyeroll>" lol

So I've decided I need to be with real people who get excited about fabric and buying new things like clear rulers or who can share my enthusiasm when I learn a new technique, or have that light bulb moment.

I emailed my neighbor who used to belong to a local guild, and who I went with a few years ago but for reasons I don't remember, I stopped going. Hopefully she doesn't hold that against me.

Unless people sew, I can't mention it because they sort of don't want me to keep talking about it, like I've just told them I dropped a house on that witch in accounting, lol. I guess to be exciting I should be running races or remodeling my house or slaying dragons or something.

</eyeroll>After years of being 'amazed !' that not all people share my love of patchwork and quilting I have come to the conclusion that maybe we should be more understanding of the fact that we are all born with different skills and interests . I wish I could find a poem I read years ago voiced by a quilter who just couldn't understand just that point,she was being ironic of course.I can't knit or crochet,wish I could paint better than I do,Heh Ho. The worse thing in my opinion is those people who say -- about any hobby,interest, skill others may have is ''Oh I wouldn't have the time'' implying that of coure they could do that easily, but they are too busy involving themselves with more important things to bother.Just enjoy what you do,I find those who create are more generous and caring people.Love Letty.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Good thread! I don't get the eye roll and do belong to a guild, but have been surprised at the interest people show in my hobby and their occasional rude remarks. Usually I hear about a gma, aunt or mom who made quilts (or blankets!!!). The one that fries me is the comment on whether a quilt counts if you use a sewing machine to piece or quilt it. I used to say that gma would have used a sewing machine if she'd had one. Now I just ignore them. Good luck on your guild.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I worked with a bunch who liked the "reality" shows on TV. They would sit at lunch and dissect who did what and what they thought would happen next. Took the whole lunch time. No other conversation.
Ho with a capital Hum!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM

What makes that person think their hobby would be any more interesting than yours is? It's all in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, he shouldn't ask if he doesn't want to hear the answer!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I think you just shared too much information with your muggle co-worker. You could have just said, "I'm planning to stay home and do some sewing", or something to that effect, without going into any more detail. Just like I don't want to hear about anyone's "gaming" weekend or their vacation, neither do they really care what I'm doing on a sewing weekend.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Only people like you understand how I feel about "fabric." I love to touch it and look at it. Some times I can't cut it! It is too perfect just as it is. I take it out of my stash and fondle it and imagine all the things I could do with it. Then I put it back....reality could never match my dream. I just like to have it. Thanks for letting me talk.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I think you just shared too much information with your muggle co-worker. You could have just said, "I'm planning to stay home and do some sewing", or something to that effect, without going into any more detail. Just like I don't want to hear about anyone's "gaming" weekend or their vacation, neither do they really care what I'm doing on a sewing weekend.
I could have said less, but he is always fishing or hunting or golfing and I hear about those stories regularly, and I got tired of just saying "oh, nothing much" when asked what my weekend plans are, so I thought I'd throw it out there. He really was trying to be polite, but it was pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by soozieq2 View Post
Only people like you understand how I feel about "fabric." I love to touch it and look at it. Some times I can't cut it! It is too perfect just as it is. I take it out of my stash and fondle it and imagine all the things I could do with it. Then I put it back....reality could never match my dream. I just like to have it. Thanks for letting me talk.
I have always felt like the "odd" one, that I really don't fit in with people. All it takes is for me to set a few pins or sew a few seams, or even just look at my fabric and I feel an instant wave of comfort wash over me, similar to how I feel when I think about my kids and grandson (most of the time, lol). It's my peace. Sometimes I even carry a square or two in my purse when I'm feeling blue. Perks me right up! I go to sleep thinking of quilts and try to sew a little each day.

This board has also done wonders for me as far as "talking" to people out there. I feel like I can be myself, for the first time in a very long time.

Last edited by Butterfli19; 06-08-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: had to clarify...