Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 AM

I think people have this picture in their heads of women sitting around a big frame handquilting. We have many diverse quilters! SO much fun to see the projects going on. I love it all...colors that don't call my name, patterns I would not try, BUT Seeing them and the creativity of my fellow quilters- OH MY I get so busy after show and tell! Oh! And I love the look I get from people when they see one of my quilts and get a load of my long arm! The jaw drops...I TOLD YOU I say. They don't listen...but a sewing machine/completed quilt/long arm speaks a 1000 words!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 AM

None of my coworkers quilt but several of them do other things like scrapbooking, crochet, knitting, etc. So they "get it" when I babble about projects or bring something in to show them. I actually take my cross stitch projects in to work and use my lunch break to make progress. I guess I'm lucky with that.

On the other hand, I did get the "eye-roll" when I talked about my other hobby, which is Dagorhir (competitive medieval reenactments) and including some comments on "quitting now that you're an adult" etc. Incredibly annoying. But if I was hitting the bars every weekend instead, no one would blink an eye.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I don't get the eye roll , I get the lifted eyebrows... and the sarcastic "really?". Like you I don't have any quilt buddies
Lori, Lori....Illinois has some great quilt shops like SUSAN MARIE'S......I check out the website and dream that someday I will shop there.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 AM

When you join a quilt guild, the first thing you should do is ask the president, "what can I do to help" and you will meet people and they will know you by name and count you as a friend. I hear so many people say that they joined (whatever group that does whatever) that no one spoke to them and it was an "unfriendly" group. Sometimes, you have to start the ball rolling and the best way is to get actively involved. I love my quilt guild and all of the opportunities it offers...and if it doesn't offer something that interests me, I ask if there are some members who would like to start a small group that fulfills that interest. I have started 2 small groups in our guild and love them and the guild meeting. Good luck in your new venture.
PS:
If you want to see "eye rolls" and "eyebrows rise", just tell your non-sewing friends that you refinish and refurbish vintage and antique sewing machines (as I do). At my age (77), I guess that I am just supposed to sit in a chair and vegetate. NOT!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM

It does seam to be the normal eye roll with non sewers until you start bringing in projects to show. Then it is oohs and ahhs...plus the time I spend with my Grandkids and quilting friends is much more fun than shopping or going to a bar!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM

I get a little bit of teasing at work for being an "old lady" - I'm 39 and still look young-ish (I think so anyway!), but I quilt and sew as my main hobby and I've had a hip replaced; and I'm 1 of only 2 females in my department so we get teased extra for anything remotely "girly"- but it's all just good-natured ribbing and I give it as good as I get it so that's just fun; most of us have worked together for well over 10 years so it's kind of family-like. I've also had about half of them ask me if I'd make them a quilt, and anytime one of them gets married or has a kid I do make them a quilt if I know it'll be appreciated. (Working on a wedding quilt now for guy I've worked with for over 15 years!)

I think I get a kick out of being "young" for my hobby. I don't get called "young" for any reason much anymore! LOL I'm definitely younger than most people at my guild but I don't think it matters to any of us. If anything, I think the older members are glad to see new "young" members coming in. I am not quite ready to start volunteering (I feel I need to at least learn more names first!) but I'm definitely looking forward to the classes.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 AM

I worked with a bunch who liked the "reality" shows on TV. They would sit at lunch and dissect who did what and what they thought would happen next. Took the whole lunch time. No other conversation. It didn't matter to them that I wasn't included in their conversation. I tried to make the conversation work for everyone, trust me. This was our only break of the day. Since retiring, I get baby and birthday notices from them. They are getting a dose of tough love. No presents and maybe a card if I feel like it. IMHO these folks are not "friends" and have not learned how to relate to other people. Even if you're not interested, you can at least ask how someone's day is going. Find those who love what you love and don't worry about the ones who don't.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
A co-worker asked me what I was doing this weekend, and I said that today I was going to stay home, clean, and hopefully sew and tomorrow I was going to JoAnn's with my gs to pick out a pattern and fabric to make him summer pj's.

"OHHHHHH...." he says, looking around, "that's sounds like FUN <eyeroll>" lol

So I've decided I need to be with real people who get excited about fabric and buying new things like clear rulers or who can share my enthusiasm when I learn a new technique, or have that light bulb moment.

I emailed my neighbor who used to belong to a local guild, and who I went with a few years ago but for reasons I don't remember, I stopped going. Hopefully she doesn't hold that against me.

Unless people sew, I can't mention it because they sort of don't want me to keep talking about it, like I've just told them I dropped a house on that witch in accounting, lol. I guess to be exciting I should be running races or remodeling my house or slaying dragons or something.

Ok I take this a different way. When I ask someone their weekend plans I a</eyeroll>m not asking for a detail description of what they plan, which appears to be what you gave your co-worker. A simple 'looking forward to spending time with my grandson' would have been plenty of information.

A personal example, I work in an industrial park at a coffee roasting plant. We offer free coffee to the people who work in the area. One of the fellows (Dan) races motocross bikes with his son. Every Friday I ask all the chaps who come for coffee what their plans are. If Dan says I am going to the races, I get the gist of his plans. If he goes into detail of the type of bike, the gear ratio, tires etc, I will be lost.

Another fellow is usually working in his large garden, I do understand more about gardening than dirt bikes, so we sometimes have a conversation about how his garden is doing and if he is successful keeping the deer out of it.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 AM

I"ve learned not to say a lot about my sewing with non sewers. I end up having to explain way too much that I don't really want to explain. lol. And, I've learned that with the non sewers if I get asked what I'm doing this weekend, I just say "Not much. What are you doing?" They either aren't doing much either or they are rock climbing or something to which I can say "Oh, boy. Good luck" and walk away.

I am lucky and there is one sewer/quilter at my office so I can share with her. And another young woman who is very interested and always wants to see the blocks I'm working on.

I'm used to others not being appreciative of what I'm doing. My other interests are showing cars (not something most women have an interest in and most men know little about) and dachshunds which is an acquired taste. So I guess I'm just used to the odd looks and mostly don't get asked after the first time.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 AM

I have certainly enjoyed this thread. I knew when I retired that I needed to find people with similar interests as mine or I would end up being isolated from "people" in general. I needed to find people who enjoyed sewing, machine embroidery, crafting, etc. Luckily I was involved in a group thru a local sewing machine store and then that group branched into another group. We all have similar interest and when we "talk" we understand one another (well most of the time (lol)). We have a great time at our monthly meetings and always have projects for show and tell as well some charity projects along the way too. Most of our local sewing machine dealers do have groups you can join or they have classes that you can sign up for and learn something new. I enjoy living in an area where you can have a choice or what you would like to do or learn. I hope you will find some people who can relate to your hobbies and I truly feel sorry for the person who has no idea what they will be doing in retirement!