Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Many of my friends are also quilters but I have several who don't quilt. However, even though they don't quilt, they enjoy my sending pictures of what I'm working on or getting to see it in process. I guess I'm lucky! But joining a guild is a great idea. I joined one of our local ones a year and half ago and really enjoy it. Plus they offer awesome workshops throughout the year
Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 PM

I have a close friend that does not quilt. She spins wool, knits, etc but she has gone with me to the quilt show in Chicago and Cincinnati many times. When we go up north for the weekend, she goes with me to fabric stores and is interested - I go with her to yarn stores which I enjoy too. I have friends that quilt too.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:12 PM

I don't have anyone around here that quilts, and my coworkers don't roll their eyes, but I feel bad for them, as they don't have hobbies. I asked one of the guys what he would do if he retires, and he didn't have a clue.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM

I don't get the eye roll , I get the lifted eyebrows... and the sarcastic "really?". Like you I don't have any quilt buddies
Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Ha, ha. You should have said you were going to buy some fat qtrs and jelly rolls!!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Count your blessings that you only get an eye roll. Too many of us get, "Could you sew buttons on for me?" or "That could save a lot of money, would you make me this blouse?" Several years ago I was explaining to a friend that my PCQuilter was finally paid for and I could hardly wait for it to be delivered. A coworker was standing nearby (someone I hardly knew) and she piped up with "Oh good, you can make me a quilt". I guess she thought you just cranked the handle and the quilt rolled out.LOL
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM

I'm lucky that I have a quilt buddy and we can talk for hours. Surprisingly I have a couple other non-crafty friends that seem appropriately interested in listening to me blab on about my quilting, but maybe they're only being polite or I'm clueless! I'm finding more and more people interested in crafty things, a definite change from my work life 5 years ago.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM

One lady who used to spend her weekends doing things with horses used to look at me and pretend to cover up a yawn when I would tell her I was going to a retreat, so it just became a joke between the two of us that we yawn (and then laugh) whenever the other would talk about their weekend..........
Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Fun! I just recently joined a guild and so far I'm really glad I did. Today was the big annual quilt show that's put on by my guild - I go every year but this year it was fun to recognize and be recognized by some of the other guild members there. I haven't really connected with anybody in particular yet and I hardly know anybody's names but I have only been to a couple meetings so far. I've signed up for 2 classes, that should help me meet people!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 PM

I, like you, do not yet belong to a guild but I am considering joining. And reading your post has meaning for me as I went to a quilt show put on by the local guild today....I walked around admiring quilts, gained inspiration and considered in awe the work and artistry of each unique quilt. Which makes me want to join....maybe....

I can be a bit shy and therefore have not yet joined and after going to the show today and reading this post, now think I should.

Does anyone find that people who don't know a thing about quilting assume it's a hobby only for little old ladies with nothing else to do? It's a perception I find rampant......until they ask me if I can sew their daughter a dress or something....lol