Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too critical of your own work? >

Too critical of your own work?

Too critical of your own work?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
A quilt with chopped off points and mismatched seams will keep you just as warm as a perfect one.
I have a couple of quilts from my two grandmothers. All of them are tied. One is made from polyester knits, and everytime I look at it I remember seeing my grandma wearing the dresses and pant suits they came from. Another quilt has red birds appliqued with a blanket stitch. It is tied about every 2 1/2" with thick crochet cotton thread. The sashing, binding and backing are in about three different shades of red -- one even borders on being pink! The third quilt contains pieced diamonds (I know I've seen the pattern, but can't remember the name). The diamonds are a bit crooked and don't quite match up in some spots. It's a difficult pattern to get just right with all those points. Let me tell you....all three of those quilts are treasures to me!! I proudly display two of them in my living room for anyone and everyone to see!! I love each one for what it really means to me: they were made by two very dear women in my life, and I wouldn't trade those quirky quilts for the quilt that wins the biggest prize in the most prestigious quilting competition in the world!! My grandma's polyester monster has kept me warm and cozy when I've been sick and it lays on my bed in the winter months. No fancy quilt in the world could do any better than that!!!! ;)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:31 PM

It is funny you posted this because I was thinking of this topic today. I am a pretty new quilter and I am very hard on myself. I see the quilts my mother and mother in law have made and I think about how I will never be that good.

Lately, I have been looking at their quilts more closely and I am finding mistakes that I didn't see before, as an non-quilter. Things I never would have known was a mistake until I looked more closely or gained quilting knowledge. It was a relief to see mistakes made by people who have been quilting longer than I have been alive.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
There is an up-side to giving a quilt that is flawed.......

.....we have reason to give another :) :) :) .....and another.....and another.....
That is so funny. I gave my first completed and very flawed quilt to my best friend. Several times I've told her that I'll make her a better quilt. She says she loves the one she has, and she won't accept anything else. She is a good friend.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
A quilt with chopped off points and mismatched seams will keep you just as warm as a perfect one.
I have a couple of quilts from my two grandmothers. All of them are tied. One is made from polyester knits, and everytime I look at it I remember seeing my grandma wearing the dresses and pant suits they came from. Another quilt has red birds appliqued with a blanket stitch. It is tied about every 2 1/2" with thick crochet cotton thread. The sashing, binding and backing are in about three different shades of red -- one even borders on being pink! The third quilt contains pieced diamonds (I know I've seen the pattern, but can't remember the name). The diamonds are a bit crooked and don't quite match up in some spots. It's a difficult pattern to get just right with all those points. Let me tell you....all three of those quilts are treasures to me!! I proudly display two of them in my living room for anyone and everyone to see!! I love each one for what it really means to me: they were made by two very dear women in my life, and I wouldn't trade those quirky quilts for the quilt that wins the biggest prize in the most prestigious quilting competition in the world!! My grandma's polyester monster has kept me warm and cozy when I've been sick and it lays on my bed in the winter months. No fancy quilt in the world could do any better than that!!!! ;)
My grandmother was the person who introduced me to quilting when I was a little girl. I didn't learn until adulthood, but hers were the only handmade quilts I ever saw. When I learned I got hers out expecting to see perfection (as I remembered them). I was astounded to see how imperfect they were. Still, I love them. They are priceless treasures.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Google Goddess

Quilting is to be fun, not perfect
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
Originally Posted by bstanbro
If I were perfect, how could I laugh at myself?
This reminds me of a wall-hanging that I have. "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused."
Love it!
AMEN
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 AM

I was recently given the advice of the 'three feet away'
If you cant see the mistake three feet away from the quilt it does not count! lol
I cant say I have achieved that yet but as a new quilter I am be happy when I can apply this rule!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 AM

We are our own worst critics. How true that is. I always see the flaws in my own work. And I do strive to do better. I look at others quilts and think I will NEVER be able to do that. I was told by my one and only quilt teacher if you can't see it from a galloping horse it doesn't matter. lol
Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 AM

I love that 3' away advise. I think I will include that with all my quilt instructions!

I quilt for the enjoyment and sense of creativity it brings to my life I hope I continue enjoying it until the very end.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 AM

Mine are never perfect, no matter how hard I try. On my pattern or block directions I always try to write in my suggestions for making it better next time. However, I'm usually ready to try a new block etc so haven't tried my corrections,