Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
What are you wanting that your 440 doesn't have? What do you like/dislike about your 440? I have several machines, including a 440. To me, the only things I wanted that the 440 didn't have were 1) a huge harp, 2) built-in walking foot like on my Pfaffs and Baby Lock Quest Plus, and 3) wide decorative stitches (less important, because I have them on my Quest Plus and a Pfaff). I looked at the Janome Horizon and sit down mid arms. But I'm spoiled by the precision and power of my Berninas. No extra stitch or two when stopping or reversing. No wonky feeding at the end of a seam. No trouble going over thicknesses-some Janomes and others have trouble going over patchwork seams in quilting cottons, let alone hemming jeans. I'm not dissing Janome, it's a good brand, but there's a discussion of this on PatternReview.com right now. I ended up with the new Bernina 820, their top-of-the-line sewing only machine, like the 830 with no embroidery capability, smaller (but still huge) touchscreen, no multidirectional stitches, and fewer (but still hundreds of) stitches. It's more than I ever thought I'd spend on a sewing machine, and totally worth it, for me. It has a 12" harp, built-in dual feed (better than on my Pfaff and adjustable), a 40% larger bobbin, all kinds of options and adjustments on every stitch, and that trademark Bernina power and precision. I can put it on a frame if I want. On October 22, they have interest-free financing for 40 months. The machine alone (no frame) has been $6299-6499. BTW, I kept my 440, it's better at narrow seam allowances, though just today, I was reading about an 830 user who makes 1/4" finished squares from HSTs. The 820 is heavy, so the 440 went to FMQ class with me. Any option you consider, test drive it with your fabrics, threads, and tasks, especially the tricky ones (metallic threads, flimsy fabrics, 1/8" seams, thick seams, curves, whatever). The only thing I'd trade in my 440 for would be a 630 or 635-another 5.5mm stitch width Bernina. Now to each her own, this is just my take as a 440 owner and quilter. Just don't let that 440 go until you are SURE that you have a replacement you love. It's been discontinued, replaced by the 550, which doesn't take the embroidery module. And the clearance prices weren't very much lower than the prices in the several months preceding.
Well said and I agree one hundred percent. I have two Berninas and sold my 440 to a very good friend who is learning how to quilt. She loves it and I am so happy to have her receive it; I would never have sold the 440 to anyone else. If you can afford to keep the 440, it is a good machine. If not, I have been very pleased with my new workhorse--the 820. I can sure fly with my free motion quilting and it never bunches up the threads on high speed. My light-weight 6-yr old Bernina is super for taking to Project Linus sew days and other functions. That one I will keep for good unless my granddaughter(10) takes it. She has named it Bob. lol Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 AM

I would keep the Bernina no matter what I bought next. :) Not just backup, but multiple projects need multiple machines. As to the thread on the "sewing over thick seams", each person must take that with a grain of salt because who knows what sewing techniques or lack thereof people are using. I have a Viking, a Pfaff and two Janomes, and a mechanical Elna, and all can sew over thick seams. One or two like a hump-jumper to do it, but it's not an issue. The real issue in the thick seaming as far as I can tell is how high the presser foot goes, and my Pfaff 1222E hasn't that much clearance under the presser foot. I even wonder if that was on purpose so I couldn't abuse the machine! BTW - it's the Pfaff that is set up for quilting, but the Viking has no tension issues and does free motion very well (it's a Platinum 770).

All that said, it's a personal decision what machine you buy -what you like and what I like can be two very different things - things like positioning in front of a machine, where the needle area is on a given machine (front like the Viking or back like most others, etc., etc.). Try whatever machine you can. I have admired the Bernina B380 and the 430 because these machines don't do embroidery, which I never do either, and they are both really sturdy and really wonderful machines, but the prices seem out of line to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM

I would also keep your 440 as a backup machine.
I know a couple people who traded in Bernina's and regret it for years. One can never have enough sewing machines :-)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM

I have the Bernina 830 and I am not sure I would purchase it again. I really wanted it for the free-motion quilting. I have had numerous problems with specialty thread and they"Bernina factory" are still working on solving some of these problems.They did make an update kit and give us so it is a little better but still have trouble with clear thread! I kept my Bernina 1530 as my travel machine, also it free motion quilts pretty darn well!!!! Just my opinion!
Originally Posted by Gayle
I have been looking at the new top of the line Bernina but it is so expensive. Would you trade in a Bernina 440 with embroid. module for a different brand of machine that would have the same features as the top Bernina and more economical?? If you have done that, what machine did you change to and are you happier with that one? Thank you for your comments!
:D
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM

I had the option of trading my viking mega quilter in when I bought my viking ruby but I'd had it less than a yr and would of lost 500 on the deal and I've hardly used the mega quilter. I decided it was worth more to keep it and start using it to quilt or to sell it myself than to lose so much on it. I'm so glad that I bought the Ruby though. I just learned how to embroidery greeting cards and it was so much fun and has an extra touch to show you care. With the free embroidery club that came with mine I'll be learning tons of more things and I'm really excited.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maia B
Here's that discussion about machines that do or don't sew well over thick seams: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/64038
How often do you go over thick jeans seams with quilting? I own several Janomes. I attach a walking foot when I need to do thick stuff. I don't need to attach a walking foot to attach my kids club patches on a thick shirt. I have many vintage machines and they can handle thick jean seams too but I generally prefer to use the Janome with a walking foot. I don't use denim for quilting but I need to fix clothes for my DH and children all the time.

Look at what you need the machine for and besure it does what you want it to do. Is there any way you can go and sit and sew on the machine you are considering? I have a Janome 6500 and a Janome embrodery machine. The embrodery machine only got used for quilting. I gave it to my DD when DH gave me the Janome 6500. She only uses it for quilting. None of us like to do embrodery. What a waste of money for me to have bought that machine. If I had to do it again I would have saved all that money and saved up towards a used long arm.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
The new TOL Janome was just unveiled at $9,999 so it is fairly close to the Bernina; however, I would take any Janome over Bernina any day even if it were more expensive! But because when I had a windfall a year ago and Janome did not have what I wanted, I bought and fell in love with the Babylock Ellisimo! It is an incredible machine. Now it is similar to the Brother Quattro so if you prefer Brother, I would look at that. As to whether to trade in the 440, well, how much do you like/hate the machine?
Where did you see the new Janome Horizon for that price? I was at a dealer and was quoted $12,000.00.

As for trading in the Bernina, do you have a spare machine? If not, I would keep it. My friend just got the new 830 and decided not to trade the other on in.
If you can't afford to just buy the other one out right, I guess I would wait. That Bernina is a very nice machine.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM

I do have an 830. Love it. Had a Bernina 180 and traded it in when I bought the 830. I have regreted trading it in as sometimes I needed to take a machine when I wanted to sew for others or in a class. The 830 is too heavy to take, so consider the weight of your new machine you plan on purchasing and IF you really want to trade in your 440. It is always nice to have that 2nd machine for a take along.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I have a 440 and a Viking Ruby. I use my Viking all the time and the 440 sits. You have a lot of options with the Ruby probably more than I will use. I consider the Viking
powerful and precise! Love it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM

I traded my 440 in on an 820. I love it. Have never looked back. I got $2500.00 trade in on my 440. I think you would love the 820 or the 830. Mine was a great decision.