Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 AM

I've had 3 Berninas and they are wonderful machines, very very pricey though. You will get little or nothing for your machine on a trade for that big bad Bernina, and you will get a big bad balance to pay off. It's not only the price of the machine with Bernina, it is all the extras you need to buy, software prices are astronomical, new feet, new this, new that, proprietary software and designs etc.

I am a very loyal Pfaffie now for just that reason. I switched from a top of the line Bernina about 6 yrs. ago to the Pfaff 2170 and never looked back. If I could afford a new machine, I would go for the latest Pfaff Creative Vision, but really have no need to upgrade. I have never had one problem with my Pfaff, andI like the fact that it doesn't take up half of my sewing table; the embroidery unit attaches at the rear and all I need to do to switch from sewing to embroidery is drop the feed dogs and change to the embroidery foot. As you can see from my Avatar, my Ragdoll fur baby loves it too. I got up to answer the phone and she made herself comfy in a quilted handbag I was working on. :)

There will always be a bigger and better to tempt us.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 AM

Crying out loud....I just don't understand the price of these new sewing machines..you can buy a "computerized used car for the same price!!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:20 AM

[quote=QuilterChick] As you can see from my Avatar, my Ragdoll fur baby loves it too. I got up to answer the phone and she made herself comfy in a quilted handbag I was working on. :)

What a cute picture.

Great information.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 AM

I have the Bernina 200 and now the 830. Years ago I never thought I would ever have any interest in owning an embroidery machine, but one day, about ten years ago, for whatever reason, I bought the 200 and I was hooked. I thought about taking the plunge on the 830 for about a year after they came out, but have had mine for a little over a year now, and I LOVE it--hate to sew on any of my other machines. I am hooked on machine cross stitch, and the 830 is absolutely marvelous! Am attaching a photo of a patriotic Santa that I cross stitched on the 830 yesterday. I am going to frame it and put it in our quild auction for November.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274217.jpe  
Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 AM

Here's that discussion about machines that do or don't sew well over thick seams: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/64038
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Whatever you decide upon, I would just suggest that you have an excellent dealer to work with. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM

I thought Elna went out of business a few years back. Did someone buy them out, and if so, what company? I have an Elna Quilter's Pro and love it. I've been worried that if something happened to it, I wouldn't be able to replace it. It is my absolute favorite machine.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 AM

I simply love my 440 and would not trade or sell it for any other machine.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 AM

I think Maia said it all I have the Bernina 440 QE with all attachments and I would never never sell or trade it how many other machines can you find with all metal parts most are all plastic also the 830 is very heavy you would not be moving it so keep your 440 for a back up
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 AM

I surely do agree with you on the tension issues with the Viking. I use my Singer 401A slant needle or my featherweight whenever possible because of the tension on the Viking.