Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trade-in my Bernina?? >

Trade-in my Bernina??

Trade-in my Bernina??

Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM

I have a Bernina 165 embroidery machine. Yes, it is older, but works fantastic. I take it in for its service and that is the only issues I have had, except when I thru the timing on a no no I did. I owned a Viking 200 and it was a good machine. It was a basic model, but an upgrade from my mother's old Universal which was a workhorse. Changing from the Viking to the Bernina tooks some getting used to because of the more complex use of a Bernina, or it seemed. I purchased a Viking Iris for a second machine since I had sold my old Viking and I do not like how it works. Just did not seem to be the same quality. Once you go to Bernina, there is no going back. I would never trade in or get rid of my Bernina. A friend of mine purchased a Pfaff and loves it, another friend purchased a Pfaff and is having nothing but troubles and not many hours on it. I strongly suggest as others have, stay with your Bernina. Use it as a back up and do not get rid of it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Love my 440 and would not trade it. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 AM

I too have a Bernina 830 and a 200E for backup plus I just about gave awahy my Pfaff 7570 but kept the 1475. I have no need for any others!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM

If you have invested in a lot of designs for your Bernina, do you have the software to convert them to a new format for your new machine? It is a consideration!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM

I have many machines and Berninas are my very favorite. I have the Bernina 830...it is a dream machine. I also have a Babylock Elegante and A Brother Quattro....love them...but as their motto says...Nothing sews like a Bernina....Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by joogoo
I have a 440 and a Viking Ruby. I use my Viking all the time and the 440 sits. You have a lot of options with the Ruby probably more than I will use. I consider the Viking
powerful and precise! Love it.
I just bought the Ruby; it is great. I just learned how to make greeting cards on it in the free embroidery club that comes with it. I can't wait until I can afford to buy the 5D software to do more things so in the mean time I want to learn as much as possible. I also love the new interchangeable walking foot; so much more versitility with it. I've always loved Vikings. I also have the mega quilter.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 AM

I had a 1977 Bernina 830 and sold it for a song. I later found out from a certified Bernina repair tech that it was a work horse and should have kept it AND purchased a newer one if I wanted to. I am sorry that I sold it. Just a thought. If you feel you can afford to, keep it and get your newer one. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Voice of experience: I gave away a Bernina and my Janome is a great machine, but I regret not keeping the Bernina.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM

I have a Bernina 830 and I absolutely love it. Buy the best you can afford and go to every single class you can. It is so worth it !
Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 PM

I traded in my 440 and got the 730 to keep up-to date with
the gals I sew with. During this time a gal traded in her 830 and I picked up on it right away. I love Bernina because
my dealer is close. Choose a machine that has a dealer close
by to help in case of a problem. I put my 830 on my quilt frame and use my 730 on everything else. I have a 1973 Bernina that runs like a top. I do have my Pfaff Grand Quilter to sell at $700. My Bernina dealer said he would
sell it for me. That to is a great machine but doesn't have
the stitch regulator.
Go with a dealer that will be close and is interested in your needs and will help. I sew every Tuesday at my dealers
place Good luck.