Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Treated myself today! >

Treated myself today!

Treated myself today!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

It's the little things that make us quilter's happy isn't it? I found this really nice leather and basketry carryall one day at the second hand store and I made the mistake of mentioning it was for my ironing tools and sprayers to a stranger nearby. She said, "It doesn't take much to make you happy". LOL! Non-quilter's....
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM

I, too, treated myself today. My 6"x9" ruler had been used so much that all the markings along all the edges had worn off. I bought a new one today. We should treat ourselves more often!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM

It seems like my blades are getting dull a lot faster. My mat is fairly marked up. Could that cause my blades to dull faster?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
AI use to see there was one class of milk or juice left in the container and I didn't take it thinking the kids or DH may want it. How many times did I see them pour the last glass and never once think I or anyone else may want it? Not one time!
That is EXACTLY what happens in my house too. I always offer the last bite/sip/piece to my DS and DH. But hey NEVER do the same for me. And I really hate it when I have something - he asks for a bite/drink and finishes it!!!!!

I also have the problem that I buy something at the grocery store and forget about it for a couple of days. When I do remember that I bought it, it is ALWAYS gone. EEEGGGHHHH!!!!! At least my DS is more like me than DH. He always asks if anyone else wants it before her takes it.

I was able to find a real deal on Fiskars blades (60 45mm for $45 including shipping which means they cost about 75 cents each. When I am starting a new project that is a good size, I always replace the blade and my sewing machine needle. I just figure the cost of the blade and needle in the cost of the quilt. I do save the blades when I change them. I use them for batting and other cutting until they start skipping. Then they are taped to a piece of cardboard and trashed. I am like everyone else - it is so great having a new blade/needle that I wonder why I don't do it more often - that is why I started changing them for each new big project. Our quilts so much in fabric and other supplies that it just makes sense to make things easier on me if possible.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Luvluvluv2quilt View Post
It seems like my blades are getting dull a lot faster. My mat is fairly marked up. Could that cause my blades to dull faster?
Yes. If you don't want to replace the blades as often - buy a new mat. I usually buy one with a coupon at Joanns, although there have been some really good deals at Overstock.com.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Why is it as soon as I put in a new blade I run over a pin? I never run over a pin with a dull blade, it has to be the new one. For the while I will have 1 thread in each cut that will stay attached. AAAAAAAAH!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM

I'm with you there, Tartan. How many times have I done that?!?! A poor instance of serendipity. I'm keeping my cutting table clear of everything but fabric for a while!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
Out with the old - in with the new! I am a New Englander. We like to get every bit out of what we have. But it's a new year and I'm starting on a new quilt. Broke out a brand new rotary cutting blade. Why don't I do this more often???! Gosh - but isn't it wonderful to start fresh.
As a fellow New Englander...I understand completely... My DM has a rotary cutter attached to a ruler that she uses. She will ask me to help her cut out pieces sometimes, and I do, BUT it sure would be easier with a new blade! She jsut tells me to press down harder with my whole hand. LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 04:19 AM

Oh ! I am the same way too ! Except...I don't run over pins, I chew up my ruler ! Bump into the side of it, I probably need a new one. Or I could change to another, you know how it is. Just sayin'....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 AM

yes, the blades seem to dull quicker than they used to (even though I've been quilting for less than 8 years). I get annoyed at those threads that seem to hang on for dear life after a cut. Maybe I change the blade too often. I save my old blades for my kitchen rotary cutter (plastic bags, netting on onion bags etc.) and put some used ones into a plastic box thinking that one day I'm going to get a sharpener.