Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The tried and true or out of your "box" >

The tried and true or out of your "box"

The tried and true or out of your "box"

Old 05-12-2013, 05:00 AM

I'm one of those people who don't like to be constrained by illogical rules. I attended a class where the pattern and the instructor were very insistent on using the same light and dark in each block. My first thought was "why"? and I decided to use a bunch of colors in each block. Instructor didn't like it and referred to me as "the rebel" throughout the day. I like the way my blocks turned out and wouldn't have been happy if I'd used the same color throughout. So yes - I'm an outside the box person.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]412995[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails stepping-stones.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 AM

I never make the same pattern twice as I'm easily bored I try and challenge myself by learning new techniques etc. That being said, I love BOM's and of course, those are in the colors chosen for that pattern. If I don't like those colors, I don't buy it LOL When I choose a pattern I seldom choose the "cover" colors, preferring to make it my own. I have branched out and made a few design decisions and am usually pleased, as is the recipient. So........I guess I do what suits me at the time.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 AM

I love the colors in this quilt. I think it is beautiful!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 AM

My heart really lies with the rich, warmer colors; also most any shade of blue. I do enjoy going out of my favorite comfort zone to switch things up a bit and work with different colors and fabrics. I have utilized the "modern" colors and patterns for baby quilts that have been very well received. I try to be very attuned to the quilt's receiver. Younger people love the bright, funky colors and crisp, simple patterns.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 AM

I love challenges! I have never repeated a pattern yet. Although I do love the Carpenter's Star pattern so I may repeat that one.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I usually go out of the box. Never really been on of those who color between the lines. Some time it works some times not. Not usually moves onto something added to.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM

I try and do different patterns. I don't want to get into a rut and stall out on my sewing. So I use different patterns all the time.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 AM

I very seldom make the same quilt twice. The only one that I have used more than twice is the New York Beauty and that is because just changing colors and settings your quilt looks so different.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I might stick to a pattern, however definitely not to color. I have had trouble being too "matchy-matchy" in that the colors of the quilt had to blend one way or another. Then about 20 years ago I was hosting our bi-annual family reunion and decided that I would like to make a quilt to commemorate the occasion. The previous reunion my brother and SIL asked that each family pick a color for their family and wear t-shirts in that color to the reunion. My aunt and uncle were going to be visiting from CA and had never met most of us, so this way they could tell who belong to whom and the tradition continues. So, I bravely asked for the family members to send in fabric in their "color" and I would make a quilt. To say making a quilt with orange, green, yellow, red, teal, navy, black and purple was out of my safe zone would be an understatement. I made the quilt with each family represented in an album block quilt. It was a hit and my oldest brother won the quilt - I'd asked that if anyone wanted more than one ticket for the quilt, it would be $1 to help offset the cost of making the quilt, batting, backing, background, etc. I'm proud to say that every reunion my family looks forward to see what I've made with their fabric. After 2 years of making family color quilts, I went for red/white/blue, navy blue, blue, etc. and this year went for black and white. I definitely stepped out of the box with those quilts, sometimes using what might be called "ugly" colors, but the quilts all came out beautifully, and I'm glad that I will live on through my quilts.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM

I do both with patterns I try never to use the same pattern twice but I use patterns others have tried and published. I always use my own color choices.