Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with borders >

Trouble with borders

Trouble with borders

Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Default Trouble with borders

This isn't my first rodeo, but it is the biggest quilt I've done. I do it the Bonnie Hunter way, that didn't work this time, too short. Tried measuring in 3 places and it's too long. If I hadn't spent so much money and time on this thing I'd have a bonfire with this quilt being the star attraction. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 AM

I'm not familiar with the Bonnie Hunter way. I measure down the center of my quilt, cut the borders to that length, and ease the quilt to fit.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I cut enough to be longer than the quilt top, and slice it off AFTER sewing. It works for me.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I cut enough to be longer than the quilt top, and slice it off AFTER sewing. It works for me.
And I bet when it is all bunched up or spread over your sleeping body no one can tell if the two outside edges and the middle are exactly the same length.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I make sure my quilt top is well pressed and sometimes starched before measuring. I measure the shortest sides first(usually top and bottom) if they are the same, I cut my 2 end borders but leave an extra inch. I mark where the end should be in the seam allowance (Frixion pen)I pin to the mark and place pins at intervals along the length easing in any extra fabric from the top where needed. If the top extends over the mark a tad after sewing, I don't worry about and then trim off the extra. I follow the same process for the long sides.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

This is what I do all the time. An old carpenter say is Measure twice, Cut once.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
An old carpenter say is Measure twice, Cut once.
Or measure twice, cut once. Curse! Cut again.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:54 PM

I used to do that way 'til I started getting wavy borders. I might resort to that, I don't know. The thing is I have 4 borders to put on this blasted thing. Grrrrrrr!

Tartan, I've printed off your instructions and will give that a go. It's just so frustrating! I told DH that once I got this one finished I'd probably give it away even though I'm making it for us, because every time I look at it, I get mad, lol.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM

If the border piece is larger than the top, find the center and quarters of the quilt top and the border. Pin the centers and quarters together. Line up ends and pin. Then put a few pins between the ones already holding the pieces together. Now put the border against the feed dogs and sew. The feed dogs should ease as much as a half inch per half. If the quilt top is larger, put it against the feed dogs. Works everytime for me.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM

I have very good results with Bonnie Hunter's method and have not "measured" a border since. I fold my pressed quilt top in half the long way, smooth it out, lay the border pieces out on top, smooth those. I pin every so often so they don't shift. Then I cut either end even with the top. I fold the borders into quarters and either press or pin the edge. Do the same with the top. Match the quarter marks, I pin ALOT (every 6" or so) and ease the rest in as you sew. Press, repeat for the other edges.

Some fabrics have more "give" than others. Be careful you aren't stretching as you measure.