Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to meander and THIS happened... (help) >

Trying to meander and THIS happened... (help)

Trying to meander and THIS happened... (help)

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM

Definitely a coordination issue between your hands moving and the speed of the needle and quilt. This happens to me a lot more than I like to admit (smile). Just takes practice to remedy. You'll get it!! Never fear.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 AM

Thanks for sharing the website. Printed it out & will post on wall in front of my machine to refer to.
Thanks again.......
Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Default shorten stitch length

Try shortening up your stitch length, too. Also, if you can adjust the speed of your machine you may want to dial it back a bit, this can keep you from going too fast.
As has been stated, free motion is definitely a skill set and the more you practice the better it gets. Make yourself a pile of practice sandwiches out of muslin and leftover batting. Sew 1 or 2 of these practice sandwiches daily... you can do this as a warm up activity. You will be amazed at how daily practice can improve your skill.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM

The only reason I feel like it may not be a tension problem is because it only happened in two areas. I did stop and start a few times because my nephew was here and my MIL was here and I was trying to tune them out and focus on my quilting. It's possible the foot wasn't down although it's hard to tell with the darning foot (is that what it's called?)

I did practice on a fabric sandwich and I wanted to never FMQ ever again. LOL. It is WAY harder than it looks. My hands were slipping all over the fabric and I didn't have those sticky gloves. I tried putting grippy socks on my hands to see if that helped. LOL. That's a big negative. I just looked silly and it wasn't the right type of sticky to grip fabric. With a day or two of practice I felt confident enough to try it on my project. It looks okay from the front... for my first time. It's just two little areas on the back that look a hot mess.

Thanks for your ideas ladies. I may finish up this week so I'll post a pic when it's all put together and fixed!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
This is totally not a tension problem. You're moving the quilt sandwich too fast for the speed of the needle. Fast needle, slow hands.
I've also had this problem (still do sometimes). Mine also seems to be when I try going too fast so if I slow down and enjoy the process, it turns out so much better. I set my machine speed slower so I can just push the pedal down and the speed stays consistent.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM

OK, my 2 cents worth ... I agree with everything INCLUDING changing the needle. BUT, I only saw one answer about how to tie off 'good' stitches when taking out the bad ones.

I was taught to pull out (don't cut/rip) enough thread so you have top and bottom threads long enough to put into a hand sewing needle. Pull top thread to the back, put in hand sewing needle, make a couple of tiny stitch through backing and batting only, then insert needle in between the top and bottom, for about an inch or two, pull thread a little tight, trim thread and ends of thread will be pulled back into the quilt when you release the tension you had on the thread.

If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try and explain it better.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
OK, my 2 cents worth ... I agree with everything INCLUDING changing the needle. BUT, I only saw one answer about how to tie off 'good' stitches when taking out the bad ones.

I was taught to pull out (don't cut/rip) enough thread so you have top and bottom threads long enough to put into a hand sewing needle. Pull top thread to the back, put in hand sewing needle, make a couple of tiny stitch through backing and batting only, then insert needle in between the top and bottom, for about an inch or two, pull thread a little tight, trim thread and ends of thread will be pulled back into the quilt when you release the tension you had on the thread.

If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try and explain it better.
I do something similar. I pull out enough thread as you said, but I take the top and bobbin thread and tie a knot close to the surface of the fabric. Now pass the thread ends through a self-threading needle and put the point of the needle in the hole next to the knot and bring it up an inch or two away (have it pass into the batting between the quilt top and backing). Pull the needle through and 'pop' the knot into the batting like you do when you're burying a knot for hand quilting. When re-starting your stitching, overlap by two or three stitches to secure the knot even more.

If you don't have a self-threading needle, you can use a dental floss threader. Pass the straight part thru the eye of the needle, then thread the thread thru the loop. Pull the threader thru the needle and it will be threaded!! I keep a needle with a floss threader positioned in in the eye in my pincushion, ready to go whenever I need it!!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Another thought, some machines prefer that you have the feed dogs lowered. Lovely fabric
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM

most important thing..............DON'T GIVE UP............... it does get better, but you need to be patient, take your time and be willing to invest in 'experience' which is extremely valuable, and not not be hurried.....time and patience is what is needed, you do not become an expert overnight in ANYTHING....................
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM

They really do look like eyelashes! Maybe leave off the Latrisse?! LOL!