Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tshirt quilt?? $$ >

Tshirt quilt?? $$

Tshirt quilt?? $$

Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 AM

Thank goodness I didn't save any of my kids tee shirts. I have pictures of them wearing the tee shirts that's enough. Tee shirt quilts are more a craft project to me then a quilting project.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:54 AM

I do not sew, hem or do anything that requires a needle and thread for anyone but myself. I may choose to make a gift for them, it is always my choice. If they ask me to make something for them, it will never happen. I sew for my own enjoyment which includes making gifts for others on occasion. Wednesday, I finished my project and gave it to a lady who was sewing with me and just learning. I remember how I felt when I was just beginning.

I don't have any children and most of my relatives are gone. So my sewing friends are the recipients of most of my gifting.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
Go to Project repat. https://www.projectrepat.com/ It’s a non profit t shirt quilt company. Better yet give her the website. They charge 110 for. Twin size. I just wouldn’t do it for that price. I made my husbands free but he’s special. Lol.
They use fleece as a backing so guess no batting, wonder how they attach the layers.the prices should get the gals attention if you tell her it would cost you $500 to make it for her.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-14-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-14-2019, 06:01 AM

I have only done one T-shirt quilt and I did it only as a learning experience and for someone important to me. I did it for free because I love this family very much. The T-shirts came to me already cut and way to small with no seam allowance! This is one good reason for doing it for free. I can't fix what was already broken. So I explained to my friend that there were some things that could not be fixed right off the top. When all was said and done The quilt came out fair. The family was very happy with it which was very exciting. The quilting was not even that good IMHO. She gave me a nice stipend for the quilt. It was a good learning experience for both of us. I would do another one only if I got the whole T-shirt and explained all the cost before hand.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-14-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 AM

Personally, I do consider my relationship with the person who is asking for the quilt. Currently, I am working on a tshirt quilt for someone on at work's daughter. I do not plan on charging anything. I know that is against all that people will want to hear, but this coworker has helped me with things that I have never gotten to pay them for doing. Both the daughter and my coworker say they are going to pay me, but I will not take money.

Also I consider the fact that I will be sewing on something anyway - I am sort of sick in the head with sewing ha ha. I don't sew to make money and I know that I will never be able to support myself by sewing nor will I ever be able to justify the money I spend on quilting ha ha ha

So if I can make a quilt and the person is paying for the materials I may very well be happy with that. That will keep me sewing and I won't have to spend any of my own money ha ha ha

I also realize that I am far far from an expert so I appreciate having the quilt to practice my skills

There have been times that i have charged to make quilts and I will charge others in the future as well. When I have charged for a tshirt quilt the customer purchased all of the materials - then I did not have to put any money out Then I charged $200 for my time

Just my thoughts. You have to find what works for you
Old 09-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Are you a newbie to this site or to quilting? If to quilting - T-Shirt quilts can be tricky, especially for a new quilter. But.you can probably still get out of it when you tell the person what it will cost. They often have absolutely no idea. As others will tell you, make a list of all actual prices (not purchased on sale, but actual pricing). She may give you the shirts, but you will be purchasing stabilizer, sashing, borders, backing, thread, new rotary blade, etc. You will be using your home, so factor in electricity (irons use lots of power!). This is even before you start thinking about your time. The size is pretty much determined by how many shirts she wants you to use. (FYI - I get most of my materials wholesale and would not make larger than a throw size t-shirt quilt and I would not charge less than $250 - a that is a friend's rate! If not a friend, it would be a lot more, if I even did it)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-14-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 AM

I give most of my quilts away free. I like that better then making one for pay. As I posted, once I give a contract with cost and tell them to think about it I seldom hear about it again. The ones that do say yes I only do the simple patterns and pay the LA for simple edge to edge. I charge for mileage to and from the LA. I charge for everything and not enough for labor!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 AM

All I can say is "good luck". I feel for you cause when someone asks me to make something for them I feel so pressured and nervous. I once was asked to make a quilt out of her Mother's pillowcases. She had no idea of pattern or colors of fabrics. I picked the easiest pattern and shopped for colors that would compliment the colors in the pillow cases. I charged $100.00 and she was very willing to pay it. Both parties were happy.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

I think there are times when we are willing to do "a lot" for someone special - for no monetary pay - for whatever our personal reasons are.

Then there are other instances when "no amount of money would be enough" to do some things for some people.

In my case, making a t-shirt quilt is in the "no amount of money would be enough" - to make one - for anyone - loved or not.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Despite all of the excellent steps listed above, which surely are right, I am still wondering why you would take all the time to price things out, draw up a contract, etc., when your co-worker may take one look at the total and bail. That's a lot of your time invested in a project you don't want to complete at any cost.

If you want her to give the idea up, herself, why not just say you've priced things out and the minimum would be (fill in high number here.) She'll likely make some polite excuse and walk away, without your investing a lot of effort.

hugs,
charlotte