Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: turning tote/purse straps

There is a large needle that flutist use to clean the inside of their flute. I have used mine for years and can pull elastic through casings and turn things inside out in a flash. CQMadhatter

I have done this too, with one exception. Instead of using cord, I use a selvage edge left from something. I always have them sitting around and they are FREE!

Angi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I fold the strip in half, press, open up, bring each raw edge to the crease mark, press, then fold in half then topstitch down both sides. I usually put a piece of webbing under the folded edges. I don't like turning a tube right side out. This method also has more layers making it stronger and wear longer.
    This is the way I make mine also. I actually topstitch four lines down the strap. It makes a fabulous strap, so sturdy and you don't have to mess around with turning a tube.

Hi,

I have the Fasturn set and use them all the time, easy as can be to get those handles turned!

Bev

WOW! Thanks for the bazillion ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    Stitch with small gauge cord inside, slightly longer than strip. baste stitch to one end, then pull through. Remove basting
    Great minds think alike. This is what I do also...

Blog Entries
    I fold the strap in half length wise tuck in remainder to fold. sew along edges. I iron as I go.

Blog Entries
    I fold the strip in half, press, open up, bring each raw edge to the crease mark, press, then fold in half then topstitch down both sides. I usually put a piece of webbing under the folded edges. I don't like turning a tube right side out. This method also has more layers making it stronger and wear longer.
    That's exactly what I do. It's too hard on my hands to try and turn the handles right side out. And like you, I use webbing as it gives really good strength. I also interface the fabric before pressing.

Blog Entries
    I use the method described by folding a strip in half, then press the
    raw edges 1/4", and top-stitch. Also like to use a batting strip inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jslovak
    Does anyone have a good trick or use a good tool for turning strips for tote pages/purse handles right side out?
    I use a tool called a bodkin. There are several different kinds. You can find pictures if you Google bodkin. The one I find most useful is the one Dritz makes. froggyintexas

I usually use a big safety pin that I can push through, but here lately, I cut my handles at least 5 inches wide and sew 1/4 inch seam, so that it's easier to turn them inside out and then if they're too wide, I fold them over and sew an outside seam. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jslovak
    Does anyone have a good trick or use a good tool for turning strips for tote pages/purse handles right side out?
    You can buy a tube turner.

What I do for straps is simply fold my fabric so that it overlaps in the what will be the back and then top stitch. So easy. And it doen't look a bit bad. If I have a light weight fabric, I simply fold it over 1" or 1.5" webbed strapping and again, sew down the middle.

I use a fast turn tool that has from large straps to spaghetti straps it is soooooooooo easey to use you can get it at most quilting shops or fabric shops it si fantastic.

Kyles Mem

I LIKE THIS! HAVE TO TRY

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
    I simply use a wood skewer rod. They are very slim and will work with anything, plus they are very inexpensive. I like to use this as a tool when I am making the tie strings on flannel pj bottoms. :)
    They're actually FREE if you get them at a Chinese restaurant. The "technical term" for them is "chopsticks". *grin*

I am so glad I read this thread~!

Quote Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
    I use a big (turtle) diaper safety pin and do it the old fashioned way.
    I also use a safety pin. It does not have to be too big--any will do.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...63184021vIEsoo

This method, using a length of string/cord, was taught at my quilting class a couple of years back and now I always use this method as it is easy and makes such a lovely handle.

Blog Entries
    I use this method, or most often, make the strap out of two different fabrics; fold each raw edge to the center, press, lay one on top of the other (wrong sides together) and top stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggirl View Post
    I simply use a wood skewer rod. They are very slim and will work with anything, plus they are very inexpensive. I like to use this as a tool when I am making the tie strings on flannel pj bottoms.
    thank you so much! I just used a metal skewer rod to turn my apron ties. i've been having such a hard time I almost gave up and I saw your post and I just turned them all! Bless you!

Blog Entries
    I have a young friend(30) who when she has to turn anything shouts "dotty" . For some reason she is totally unable to turn fabric, even one handed earlier this year I managed.

if I do need to turn a tube I have a set of different sized saftey pins in my sewing machine box. I use the biggest that will fit intot he channel. However for bag straps I nearly always use regular waistband slotted interfacing which irons on. Then you fold in the edges on the folds and top stitch. Gives you uniform sized straps filled with lovely stiff interfacing. works a treat!

It comes in 1" and just over 1" normally. I noticed recently, Nancy Z has something similar out but it is fairly pricey compared to normal dressmaking waistband interfacing. However she does have some narrower versions.
    Becks

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I make my straps like snipforfun, and it makes a nice, sturdy strap, that is easy to make.

Blog Entries
    I like using the fast turn because when you start to turn, you can catch a strip of batting or cording nd magically it pulls right through....then top stitch on both sides for a finished look...Hattie

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I prefer not turning them -- a lot of hassle and I prefer to add a bit of batting to the straps so I do the fold over and run several lines of stitching.
    I do this also. I like adding a layer of batting to the inside of the straps.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast