Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TV shows on quilting >

TV shows on quilting

TV shows on quilting

Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 AM

On the Internet, try : http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com
Sharon Schamber has a website with several free tutorials re: different aspects of quilting. An amazing quilter and a great teacher !! (Parts of this website require a fee, but worthwhile "free" videos easily accessible to all )
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM

We only get an hour of quilt shows on saturday mornings starting at 7am. PBS out of Dallas. I hate it as its hard to watch anything at 7am . Worst of all is its always the first programing changed when they do the special programing to get money to fund the station...Like I am going to donate money when they don't show my fav programs?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Here in Cedar City Ut. Direct Tv:
Thursday:
channel 09 starting at 4:00 pm quilting arts, F & P,knitting daily, needle arts studio

Friday:
channel 68 4pm scrapbk memories, martha sewing rm

Saturday:
channel 9 6am Quilting Arts,F & P,Needle Arts Studio,Knitting Daily.....this is usually a repeat of thurs. thursday line up

Monday:
channel 68 4pm Martha Sewing Rm

Sunday:
channel 9 2pm Sewing W/ Nancy
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM

RFD is on Dish networh on 231
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 AM

qnntv.com has some great quilting shows. I subscribed to the one year service and just love it. No more expensive than a magazine subscription and much more informative. You can watch it as often as you want, anytime you want.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM

I have DirecTV in Oregon, and although quilting shows are on the schedule, I get nothing when I try to watch them except a blank screen. Bummer.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I learned on another thread about the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day show on tv. Found it on the RFD channel (345 on my DirecTV), Wednesday at 2:30 (not sure how often it's on but I set my DVR to record all of them).

I also get Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting on NY21 (a public tv channel, Channel 21 on my DirecTV) Thursdays at 3 pm.

Are there any other shows we can look for? Please give all the information you have (network, channel on your tv, day & time).

If you have a TIVO or DVR recorder you can just put the word "quilting" or "sewing" into the search area and those types of shows come up. Our PBS only covers Fons and Porter but I do get RFD TV with Eleanor Burns. It's fun to watch if your a former city slicker like I am. They have cattle auctions, Border Collie demo's, all kind of farm related events. I'll stick to the quilting ones.

It's true that you can watch some of these online at their websites.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:07 AM

We still get RFD on DISH here.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 AM

DISH still has the RFDTV channel. It's Channel 231 in my area (central LA), too--and the same in AR and MO. This channel has a live cattle and/or horse auction running part of the time, so many don't realize they also have some very interesting programs concerning differnent parts of rural life. I'm a night owl, and they rerun Eleanor Byrne's show late at night, too.

PBS in my state (LA) offers Martha Pullen, Nancy, and Fons and Porter weekly (with late-night repeats). Each state's public TV schedule differs though. I donate to public TV and get their TV guide monthly (along with a great Louisiana magagine quarterly).

I agree with a poster above that the frequent fundraising drives by PBS-TV stations is irritating. I know they are hard pressed for money to fund their scheduling, esp. in today's economical crunch, but I'd donate more just to have the shows I pay/donate to see left alone. Those special shows they run during fund drives are even more expensive, and I'm not interested in seeing most of them--esp. those with some self-proclaimed guru telling me how to run my life.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Eleanor Burns was a special eds teacher before quilting so it shows in her teaching.
She is corney but she grows on you as her personality comes out. .
I totally agree that she has a unique approach to teaching and her work is wonderful. I'm just not sure that I can hang on long enough for her corniness to grow on me. I DID like the machine she was using and now I am checking out the Babylocks. Hm, maybe I do need to give her a second chance....maybe just turn down the volume a bit.