Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a quilt >

Tying a quilt

Tying a quilt

Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I have one that is about 30 years old, has been washed and dried many, many times, is faded but it is still together. I like to use a high loft batting on tied comforters because they are so fluffy. I use Aunt Martha crochet thread for tying.
Originally Posted by Patches1900 View Post
I still like to tie a quilt occasionally - an excuse to use a medium or high loft batt which makes them so cozy and to use up some embroidery floss I have collected. Lots of older quilts were tied with yarn. If you have a computerized machine you can tie with a single decorative stitch - that is fun, too! The curved doll needles make tying easier on the hands than a regular straight large eyed needle.
[QUOTE=sherian;7713775]I tie most of my quilts and lap robes. I put cotton on one side and flannel. On the other side. Mostly themed fabric that the person I am giving it to favorite thing. I give these away to friends with cancer, children with cancer. Also to newborns and some nursing homes. My grandchildren love them they call them warm and cool. One says summer and winter. They wash and dry wonderful. They last year's and take a hard time. Also add a bag to match for trips to chemo.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 AM

My first attempt at "quilting" was a set of whole cloth/tied quilts for the grandchildren. I used novelty prints and tied with 3/ or 4/ply yarn. Those quilts are still hanging around and being used by the younger ones. They've stood through many washings and have been dragged around a lot. The last quilts I've tied were tied with embroidery floss or perle cotton. I used a double surgeon's knot and they are there to stay. I love the feel of a tied quilt.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

My quilts are tied - wool yarn shrinks - square knots get tighter when you wash the quilt.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:27 AM

We are sleeping under two quilts that were tied about 40 years ago. Have to replace a tie once in awhile, but the batting is still holding.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 AM

I agree. Once the batting shifts, it's awfully difficult to correct it in a finished quilt.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:30 AM

We are sleeping under two quilts that were tied about 40 years ago. Have to replace a tie once in awhile, but the batting is still holding.
I agree. Once the batting shifts, it's awfully difficult to correct it in a finished quilt.
I like to use a high loft batting on tied comforters because they are so fluffy. I use Aunt Martha crochet thread for tying.
he last quilts I've tied were tied with embroidery floss or perle cotton. I used a double surgeon's knot and they are there to stay.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my question. The above replies were answers to a question that I didn't know I had until I read them! I now realize I should have asked if I needed to use a polyester, cotton or blend batting when thinking about the possibility of the batting separating and rolling up. I remember seeing an old quilt that had balls of batting throughout where it had probably been washed and I do want to avoid that happening!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 AM

I wash mine all the time with no problem.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Yes! Just besure to come back up through all three layers about 1/4 inch from where you went down with the needle. If you come back through almost the same hole the layers will break apart when you wash.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My mother's mother tied all the quilts she made and they got washed over and over for 25 years or so and did just fine. As Sewnoma says, sometimes they would lose ties, but my mom just retied them and they were good to go. I do remember her using some funny curved needles that she said made tying easier.
It is easy to find curved needles if you ask for upholstery needles.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:15 PM

Does the batting hold together better if you use a one with a scrim?

hugs,
charlotte