Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a quilt >

Tying a quilt

Tying a quilt

Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
I would like to try tying a quilt but have one question. Can you wash the quilt in the washer if you tie it? Thanks!
Most of the quilts that I used to have that were tied had a wool batt, so you can't wash that. When the top got dirty, I had to cut off the ties, take off the outside, wash it and put it back on. Lots of work. Those wool batts would shrink all out of shape if they were washed.
Then every few years, when the batt got a few holes in from wear, they were taken to the woolen mill and re-carded. Usually they had to add some extra wool. Then the top got put back on or a new top was used.

I think the wool batts that are sold now are washable. I still have one in my upstairs closet still in the package as it came from the woolen mill.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Mavita, I grew up in northern Wisconsin - we had a coal, gravity furnace so upstairs and uninsulated attic - it was cold. All we ever had was thick wool batts with fabric coverings. They were just tied. Mom took them apart and the batts went to a woolen mill to be recarded in the summer. The outers were either washed or discarded. Then the quilts were reassembled after cleaning. I wish I knew where to get batts like that. I bought a wool batt new a couple years ago mail order and it was nothing like the ones we had. I would have had to buy 4 or 5 to stay warm in heated house...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Mavita, I grew up in northern Wisconsin - we had a coal, gravity furnace so upstairs and uninsulated attic - it was cold. All we ever had was thick wool batts with fabric coverings. They were just tied. Mom took them apart and the batts went to a woolen mill to be recarded in the summer. The outers were either washed or discarded. Then the quilts were reassembled after cleaning. I wish I knew where to get batts like that. I bought a wool batt new a couple years ago mail order and it was nothing like the ones we had. I would have had to buy 4 or 5 to stay warm in heated house...
I have one which I would be glad to send you. I also have a neighbor who told me just a few days ago that she also has one like that. She was about to throw it out. I'll have to get in touch with her right away.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if places still card them?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Our church quilting group ties all our prayer quilts and they hold up beautifully.