Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Quilt Dilemna >

UFO Quilt Dilemna

UFO Quilt Dilemna

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. Well today we went to a quilt store and I bought fabric for a baby quilt for a friend's shower coming up April 5. While there my hubby started looking at the longarm demo they had and said if we won the lotto tonight I could go buy it Monday!! I'm happy he supports my hobby. I did buy material and my ufo will still be there but the baby will be coming soon. Thanks to all here you are so encouraging.
Sent you a PM
Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

My DH is my color-go-to-kuy as well and I am swamped with UFOs. So last year I had a long chat with myself and made a promise that whatever project I pick up (UFO OR NEW) I MUST (and will) FINISH it. So far so good. So if you take the same attitude, you can take on the new project with hubby and FINISH it, then pick one from the UFO pile and FINISH it. Eventually the pile will get smaller (mine is).
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 PM

I always try to do 2 of one when faced with a situation to tame. Do to UFO's then reward yourself with a new project. That way the pile should go down. BTW the rule is if you create another UFO then you need to finish to others to make room for it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:40 PM

I'm a list person. I start the year out making my list of things that I want to get done for the year. It's a pretty long list and does include my UFOs. If I get some of it done, including a UFO or two, I'm a happy camper. Without a list I seem to get scattered. Works for me
Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM

I am really new to quilting and i vowed not to have UFO's pile up because i don't want to invest in things i don't finish. Well, a couple of months later and i have one quilt that is waiting for binding, and 2 completed tops waiting on the side. I have one on the design wall sewn into strips waiting to be joined and i have too many ideas in my head for what's next.

When i mentioned the UFO's and my vow to my boyfriend, he just replied "It happens." He is really supportive of anything i do and joins in a little here and there. He likes to rip my mistakes apart and has his own seem ripper that sits next to the couch at all times. The closest i've been able to get him to sewing is racing up and down the lines on a piece of notebook paper with no thread, but he's getting there.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 AM

I'm slowly converting my DH into a quilter. It started when I realized that he has a REALLY good eye for color. Then he asked for a simple racer-type strip quilt (because he thinks the Bargello I made for him is "too nice" to be used) so I encouraged him to design it with me, and pick out fabrics with me and he really got into it. Now it's all cut and ready to go but I haven't had time to start on it...I told him he could get started joining the strips and he says he probably will help.

Step by step, I will make a quilter out of this man! LOL The thing is...I think he'd enjoy it and I think he'd be good at it. Maybe I shouldn't encourage him, he'll start stealing stuff out of my stash and hogging the good machine! LOL
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Good for you finishers! I want to try to make a lot of tops this year, so I have something to pick from when I need a gift.
Great idea I hope it works better for you than it does for me. Everytime I thinking can use one of those it just dosen't fit the person I'm gifting, size or color, design something is off. I know someday they will find a home just have not figured out where yet.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Tell him to make up a quilt suggestion every Season if you think you can do that. I keep showing my husband my quilts as I go along, mainly because he's the only one here. except for our cats! One time I'd sewn a king size top of many, many block and he noticed one sewn together incorrectly. Thanks hon!! I fixed it. Good luck.