Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Quilt Dilemna >

UFO Quilt Dilemna

UFO Quilt Dilemna

Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I love making quilt tops but do not like the rest of the process. So have at least a dozen quilt tops to finish. Someday.
Same here...except I probably have more like 2 dozen to finish. <Sigh> Life is too short to work on UFOs...

Anita
Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM

I have an unfinished quilt hangng around - i promised my friend a quilt about 4 years ago, got a good start then got distracted. It has come up in conversation many times and now she refers to it as her shroud as she thinks thats how long it is going to take me to finish it!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM

My DH is colorblind, but he likes to digitize embroidery designs on the computer and stitch them out on our commercial embroidery machine. He embroidered a bunch of classic cars and car emblems on white blocks. I told him I didn't know when I would get them put together into a quilt, but he could use one of my machines to make his quilt. He actually took me up on the offer. He has been practicing by putting together some 3" blocks that I had cut. Not too bad for a first attempt.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM

I sometimes concentrate on UFO's then another month I will work on scrap quilts, then another month I will work on a new project. That is the beauty of quilting. I don't suffer any guilt for working on what makes me happy at that time.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My take is if the top is done, its no longer a UFO... its just patiently waiting for its time to go to the longarmer.. lol..
I do have prob a doz of wanabe quilt tops needing to be finished, ive decided to finish one of the wannabes, then work on a 'new' top, finish another wannabe then finish a 'new' one... im tackling my wannabes and my scraps so its a win win for me... ....

you have a good hubby, mines the same way.. his late mother was a quilter and me quilting reminds him of his childhood so hes my enabler, supporter, and i swear he says he loves every quilt i've made so far.. bless his heart... lol

I say do what make you happy.. if you wanna hang with hubby and do his thing than go for it.. Lifes to short to sweat the small stuff..
Old 03-15-2014, 03:44 AM

I like this plan. I read somewhere that any UFOs should be placed in a box that you write someone's name on. If you never get to it, when your things are sorted that person will think you intended it for them and be so happy you thought of them.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:01 AM

DH doesn't seem to encourage the making of more quilts. Although he's supportive of my quilting hobby/therapy. I seem to increase my ufo's enough all by myself. In making of the last baby quilt, for a baby shower today, I ended up creating 2 more ufo's!!! This was the first baby quilt that I was not pleased the quilt "fit" the personality of the mom/family. That's why now I have 2 zip lock bags with many blocks inside them, ready to sew together for the next quilt!

Within the last 7-8 months, I have completed numerous ufo's. Which, I'm very thankful for. My ufo piles had started to need additional storage space. They were beginning to be stored in the cabinet under the tv!
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Teach him to do it. And if he likes making patterns, I for one sure would like to see what he does.
peace
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM

Like everyone else, I have UFO's. I try each year to finish one, start new project, finish one, start new project. This year, my main UFO goal is to get the four quilts that are already finished (and have been for over a year) onto the longarm. These are the ones with applique or that I don't want to do just a meander or panto on - this means I need to do something that is very SCARY to me and I am terrified of ruining all my hard work. I could just send them off to someone better than me, but then how will I learn and why did I spend the money on a longarm if I am only going to do the 'easy' ones? If I finish these four quilts, I will be happy with my UFO progress. I just finished a 120x120 quilt for my daughter (on the longarm, still needs to have the binding sewn down) and that was a UFO from last year. It spent a month on the machine but only took 5 hours of actual sewing time - I was afraid it wouldn't turn out well, but everyone at the quilt group liked it and so did she.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. Well today we went to a quilt store and I bought fabric for a baby quilt for a friend's shower coming up April 5. While there my hubby started looking at the longarm demo they had and said if we won the lotto tonight I could go buy it Monday!! I'm happy he supports my hobby. I did buy material and my ufo will still be there but the baby will be coming soon. Thanks to all here you are so encouraging.