Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Quilt Dilemna >

UFO Quilt Dilemna

UFO Quilt Dilemna

Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 AM

I have a large box with a label that says "UFO" and some day they will become quilts. My DH is fantastic with color, he is very supportive of my addiction to fabric and quilting. If I could just get him to understand "stash" I'd be a happy quilter indeed.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Do what you want to do! It's supposed to be fun, not work. Unless the UFOs present a challenge that you enjoy, leave them for awhile and do something else. You might come back to them and find them more interesting later.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Good for you finishers! I want to try to make a lot of tops this year, so I have something to pick from when I need a gift.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
DJ

Well, I'd say what a wonderful dilemma, but then again, be careful what you wish for! I sometimes wish DH were more interested in what I'm doing. He is however, very supportive. I could work on a project that's going to be a gift for him, and he'd still be surprised. He rarely even asks what I'm working on or who it's for.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I love making quilt tops but do not like the rest of the process. So have at least a dozen quilt tops to finish. Someday.
Rose Marie, I feel the same as you - I love the creative design of the quilt top, but do not enjoy the quilting part. Don't mind the binding either.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM

I decided for this year that I would finish all my UFO's whether its quilting or clothing. What I've been trying to do is finish one UFO, start/finish a new project, finish another UFO and then another new project. So hopefully I'll have all my UFO's finished by year's end.

My problem at the beginning of the year was that I just wasn't in the mood to sew at all so I wasted a couple months doing nothing. Now I have to speed it up so I'll finish by the year's end. Then of course I get side tracked easily. Yesterday instead of finishing up a project I started reorganizing my fabrics. Still not finished with that so that's 2 days out of my schedule. Oh well I only have to please myself.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM

There's your solution! And a hobby buddy! Teach him how to use the machine, and then immediately BUY HIM HIS OWN MACHINE (men love their own tools!) and he can make new tops while you finish the ones you've made.

I'm sure you know and appreciate how lucky you are to have such a husband! Good on you both!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM

I wish my husband would cut fabric or sew. He just has ideas but no help otherwise!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry about the UFOs, we all have them, if my DH was as supportive as yours is, I would probably opt for making the quilts he suggests, then every so often grab a UFO or two and then finish them. I believe that UFOs are like fabric, they need to age, like fine wine. LOL. Quilting should be fun and not a chore, so do what makes you happy.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM

I am trying to finish up my UFO's too. I finished a lot of them last year. Most of the easier to finish ones are done. Some have been given away some are still waiting for a home. I still have a few left but I am working my way thru them. I started to feel like they were staring at me to be finished. I am not letting them stress me but I would like them gone. I am also getting rid of some of my stash that I will never use. I either make a donation quilt from it or I have taken a bunch of it to the last to charity sewing days to use as backs.