Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UFO Quilt Dilemna >

UFO Quilt Dilemna

UFO Quilt Dilemna

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM

I also said I was going to clear up all the UFO's and I'm down to 1 top that needs quilting and some blocks that I've decided will be done QAYG (my new favorite way to quilt). My husband is so good with color and putting things together so he does help me with layouts and color choices sometimes. He is very supportive of anything I like to do and is a great all around guy. Lucky the second time around. I don't worry if there's something I don't feel like working on but I do like to clear them before there's too many of them. I finished up a 9 year project last night and a couple of months ago I finished a quilt that I started in 1997. Now that's a UFO!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
I would embark on the new projects with hubby. I don't stress about UFO's for several reasons:
They kept me occupied when I needed to be occupied
Most do not have a recipient or occasion attached to them
They take up less space than quilts (when the recipient or occasion has not been determined, as noted above)
If I force myself to finish them when the creative juices are beginning to flow for something else (like your husband's cool ideas), then quilting becomes another chore.
My mission is to challenge my skills, to grow creatively, to not be afraid to cut into fabric to make a test block or two.
The UFOs do get finished, but many without time constraints or a "to-do" list.
I'm with Jennie on this one! I'm actually currently working on a couple UFO's that are more than a year old but it took me a YEAR to get back to them. Sometimes quilts just need to marinate for a while before they are ready to be fully cooked! For every UFO I've finished, I have two more waiting and two or three more ideas for quilts.... Just go with the flow of creativity and enjoy it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Do your UFO's, but work for one hour a week on one of your husbands new project.

My vision is getting worse, so I not only am working on UFOs, I also plan to sort through my books and patterns and reduce to what I can actually get done in 5 years. I'm scanning a few of the books where there is just one pattern that I might do, but iffy. Sure my vision may stay fine for the next decade, but not holding my breath. I can quilt with poor vision, but not piece.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Men can sew. Just tell them it is just like a saw. My boyfriend in college would never allow me to do the fun stuff when we were building theatrical scenery. So when I was finally the master carpenter, I told him to sew the scenery drops. He had no sewing experience and the heavy muslin for drops was 90" wide. But I showed him some pointers and there were no tucks or waves in his workmanship. He was very proud of his work (and so was I).
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM

I am trying to get thru my UFO pile too. So hard when looking at all the neat quilts on this board. I have one quilt will go the the LA. One getting my own quilting on DSM. The others will get a simple cross hatch that can be done quickly. This is the plan. Probably won't happen this way. It has not worked in the last few years either.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:07 PM

My husband does this too. He has all these ideas in his head, he knows what it will look like, but he can never describe it to me. I gave him graph paper and told him to give that a whirl. He has his own fabric stash too, but so far I've had no luck getting him to learn to use a machine (he can hand sew) to make them himself. He knows I have a ton of projects and work to do on my own, so he's in no rush. I agree with having him write down his ideas and such to file away for later.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon View Post
As quilters most of us have many UFOs to complete. I'm in that boat too. This year I am trying to finish quilts I've started unless an emergency comes up (new baby, etc.). Well my husband is a dear and is trying to help but he keeps putting together plans for new quilts that I could make. I love this but there is not enough time in the day with work, home, and everything else to even finish UFOs. What do you do? By the way his ideas are really good and he is so supportive of my hobby. I told him I would teach him how to use the machine so he could start making his own. He is my color go to person when I am stuck. Oh well just had to see if others have this too? Have a great day.
Yes, my DH keeps coming up with really good ideas too. Then when I'm happily sewing away, he needs help with something that calls me away from my machine, and by the time I can get back to it, I'm too tired or out of the mood to sew. Right now, we just bought a used mobile home to set up for my sewing and storage areas, and it needs a lot of refinishing on the inside AND outside to get it ready to just be able to start moving into it. I'll post pics when it gets closer to being finished. Just be thankful that your dearest is supportive of your hobby!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:20 AM

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Do what interests you, does his project sound fun? Intriguing? Does it whisper to you? Do you want to do that? Then go for it. My husband who has no problem with my quilting also has no intrest in it, other than asking me to make him a quilt to nap with. ( I've picked out the pattern and I'm gathering fabrics now).

I have redefined the term UFO for me UFO is an unfinished object that has a place it could/should be something I have promised someone or I something I'm making for someone in particular. If I'm just making it because it interested me or sounded fun but it has no predefined home to go to it's just something I'm working on.

All that being said I have 10 maybe 12 UFOs in differnt stages some are cut but need to be finished piecing, some need borders, some backing, others are ready for the LA, one is ready to be bound. My self imposed deadline is September

I also have probably the same amount of projects I am working on waiting for the spark of inspiration I need to decide A. where it's new home will be and B. how best to finish it. That's when it will get promoted to UFO.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 AM

I have a supportive husband, too. He looks for vintage sewing items when we're out antiquing but that's pretty much it when it comes to his participation. He likes the quilts I make.... his mother and grandmothers made quilts. And, he tells me which colors he likes, etc. He knows I'm going to do whatever I want to do and he's good with that.

I'm one that can't stand to have too many UFOs around. I had a few stacked up after moving a couple of times but this past year I started tackling the pile and now I'm down to 2, one I started and a top I bought at an auction. I joined in on the UFO challenge last year and that helped me so much to stay on task. Those gals are getting lots of UFOs finished.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM

My husband started out helping me by cutting fabric. Little by little he has fully embraced this craft. We now each have out own sewing machine and share the sewing room. Sometimes I wish I could do what I do alone but much more often I am very grateful for his presence. Our tastes are similar but we do challenge each other. Sure helps to have two of us when we make kindergarten quilts and Christmas gifts. Between the two of us we have six kids and seven grandchildren. I have learned to depend on him.