Ugly Fabric

Ugly Fabric

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Yikes!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by sarge1
I've always thought about an "ugly fabric swap" for this board. I mean, for each piece of ugly fabric that you own, I bet there are 100+ others on the board who would love it! But, I can't think of a way to work out the particulars.
I hosted an Ugly Scrap Challenge last year. It was absolutely hilarious! Go to Search and enter Ugly Scrap Challenge. It was amazing to see what the winner of this challenge made with all those god awful pieces.

This year's challenge will probably start in February. Make sure to checkout last years challenge.
Ok, 61 pages on this thread, and I read them all! Soo much fun, can't wait to see this year's challenge. (and I really liked a lot of those fabrics! :oops: )
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM

I like the 'fungly-challenge'. Another way to use "ugly" fabric might be an OBW or Stack 'n' Whack. There's no law that says all the fabic has to be matched or from the same 6-yd. cut. I have a piece that really qualifies as ugly & I'm going to try an OBW with it.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the link! Great advice and humorous too. BTW, love your avatar! That shade of blue is so fabulous!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
We all have some of that don't we? I certainly do and it just sits there week in and week out whilst I ponder on how in the heck can I use it.

Putting it in the trash is a sin and I would hesitate to dump it on another quilter (do we ever say no to fabric?) and it seems uncharitable to put it in a charity/thrift shop.

So was I pleased when I spotted this!

http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/20...ly-fabric.html
What is that on your avatar? Sure is pretty.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 AM

[quote=sewbizgirl]
Originally Posted by oatw13
Some interesting ideas.

I can't say that I agree with using "ugly" fabric for the troops, though. If you wouldn't use it for yourself or use it for your best friend, why would you give it to our troops? They deserve more respect than that. Just my opinion.

quote]

Ditto, that. Also charity. Why give your dregs to charity, are they second class people?

Some ugly fabrics would make great OBW blocks, esp. if they have lots of colors and are fairly busy...

If all else fails, we always need some good absorbant rags for household chores!
I personally thought some of her "UGLY" fabric she used in her garden was quite beautiful
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM

thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM

I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts here but a wise quilter once told me that if a fabric is still ugly(out of style), it hasn't been cut small enough. With that in mind, I cut all my less loved fabric into 5" charms, pair them up in a color pleasing combination and make them into opposite pairs of 4.5" 9 patches which will eventually find their way into a scrappy quilt. I can't even find the uglies any longer.
Diana
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM

The link wouldn't work for me:
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
We all have some of that don't we? I certainly do and it just sits there week in and week out whilst I ponder on how in the heck can I use it.

Putting it in the trash is a sin and I would hesitate to dump it on another quilter (do we ever say no to fabric?) and it seems uncharitable to put it in a charity/thrift shop.

So was I pleased when I spotted this!

http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/20...ly-fabric.html

Thank you so much for posting this site. I love her blog and creative uses for the Ugly's.