Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House >

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM

If they have a local board, you should be able to find out the board chair's name on their website or in the annual report. They may be an avenue to address this.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
That's funny, I always wonder when I donate some nice quality things to Salvation Army or Goodwill whether they will really go to the intended purpose or whether someone will take it for themselves.
One of my friends worked at a Goodwill store in northern Ohio and said the workers always kept the things they wanted in the back of the store in the Employees Only section. Then they paid for them out of their paychecks. Items were still being "bought" but the general public never had a chance to buy them. I don't know if it's like that at all thrift stores.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I would like to know how an unknown person got your e-mail to request another quilt. I would be tempted to ask her to send a picture of the quilt. It may not have been one of yours. But at any rate, RMD House should not be giving out your e-mail address.

The whole thing does sound a bit fishy to me. If you wish to continue donating to them put a label on the back that states "Donated to Ronald McDonald House, not intended for sale" and quilt it down. See how they like that one.

Actually, my label on the back of the quilt specifically says it is made for RMH and is permanently adhered with BoNash. It cannot be removed without damaging the quilt. I llike your suggestion of saying specifically it is donated for RMH and not intended for sale.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Please follow up and find out what happened and let us know. I would just go there for a surprise meeting.

Karen

Since the local chapter is in my neighborhood, I can easily drop in for such a surprise meeting. I may very well do this the first chance I get, bringing along copies of my e-mails. That might be a good first step before going to the next level.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Darned right you should try to get to the bottom of this. What you planned for those quilts and books and what you suspect might have happened to them is the difference between giving something away or having it stolen from you. (Example: If you gave something to a friend, you would both feel good about it ... but if the 'friend' stole it ... not so good!)

Do you still have the contact information from the woman who said she bought the quilts from RMH? She might be able to shed some light on the situation.

Replying to the mystery woman's e-mail was the first thing I did. I kept it brief and low key, merely stating I was glad she liked my quilts and I hoped her daughter "didn't pay too much" for them. I tried to further encourage a reply from her asking what she liked in the way of themes and colors, etc. I never heard back from her, which led to the first of two e-mails to the RMH director asking for clarification; neither were answered.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 AM

Even if the money from the sale of your quilts went to RMH, that should have been explained to you up front. I hope this won't discourage you from making donation quilts. Quilters are such giving people.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
Even if the money from the sale of your quilts went to RMH, that should have been explained to you up front. I hope this won't discourage you from making donation quilts. Quilters are such giving people.

That is a very simple matter that could have been explained in a short e-mail; i.e., the quilts weren't sold but only borrowed to demonstrate, or the quilts were sold and we should have advised you, or the quilts were given to our children. Why would an explanation be too complicated to warrant silence? Their silence raises more suspicions.

Chele, I have been donating quilts to worthy charites for years and don't plan to stop 'til I drop.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 AM

I would definitely schedule a face-to-face meeting with both the director and staff member and explain your disapproval and ways that the situation can be rectified by both parties. Contact the regional director of RMH through phone or by a letter (not by email)stating the situation and ask for their policy infomation on donations.

Also, if you intend to donate to RMH again, set your expectations up front, especially with the disclosure of personal information. That's a no-no by any organization unless there has been authorized approval.

Suggestion about donating quilts: The Quilts4Kids organization is a great way to give quilts to children facing hospitalization or terminal illness. www.quilts4kids.org

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

This is just not right. I would certainly let the head office know the problem you had, no telling how many other have been taken advantage of by this one employee.

My DD gave me lots of nice clothes to donate to a local church clothes closet. There had been an apt. fire and many were without clothing. One week later I was at the church helping set up for a wedding and the church secretary two daughters walked in WEARING my DD's donated clothes! Jeans, tops, sweater, hoodie, even the shoes! This family is not in need of anything! I went right to the secretary and asked her why her girls were wearing donated clothes from the church clothes closet. She turned red and stammered a few words. I talked to the pastor and he just shrugged his shoulders. I have never been back to that church.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i am probably the odd man out on this thinking ..this is probably an isolated incident involving one person. Not the group as a whole.
i think this should be handled privately, and in person,with the director and whoever handled the quilt. Not on a message board,where it may influence others giving to them,when in actuality it is one persons doing.
And i really think, she is not pulling a fast one..if she was, your info would not have been given out as a contact to see about making another quilt..
IMHO, I think it was a misunderstanding.
I can understand your frustration..it not ending up where it was meant to go. That would make me sad.
As a group i belong to,We make quilts,raffle them off and all the funds go to RMH. We know what is happening to the quilts..
that is the difference. Kim
I appreciate your point of view, but I personally would not hesitate to donate due to this conversation. I don't think that is it's intent at all. I would though be very clear about what will happen to my donation when I do.