Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House >

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 AM

I would go to the Ronald McDonald headquarters. I woud feel this is fraud.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 AM

in the first posting about this unfortunate mishap. she stated that the woman who took the quilts, gave her a receipt for taxes.
This is why i think that it is clearly a misuse of the quilt and it's intended use. hopefully no fraud is involved..

but what a brilliant idea, to use a perm.way to adhere the label with all the info needed on it..Kim
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM

You are all so eager to assume the very worst of these people without giving them the opportunity to explain before going over their heads. They may not even have received the email messages due to vacations, conferences, illnesses, computer crashes, any number of things.

Extreme Quilter, until you actually speak with them, I think you are being terribly unfair and, as a NPO administrator and board member, I find your prejudgement frightening. Why have you not picked up the phone and called them in all the weeks this has been eating at you?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Bev

Persist in getting to the bottom of it. Somehow this doesn't sound right. If it was a simple mistake they would be quick in telling you so. I would not like my quilts to be sold unless I had donated them as fund raisers. My feeling is, if I wanted my quilts to be sold I'd be selling them myself. Don't let this matter drop. :evil:
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't think some people are reading everything wrote about this subject, some are just jumping ahead and making comments without reading all that is being written. Alot of assumuptions are being made, could be something in the air.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM

After reading all the posts here I believe the majority agree that it does need to be looked into. I get the sense that this will NOT make any of us tend to stop donating quilts - just to be more careful and check into their exact purpose from now on. Quilters ARE very giving people. I do NOT agree with those (one or two, I think) who think you are wrong for letting it be known here - you have given them plenty of opportunity to respond to your requests - vacation or not the emails should've been answered in a timely and satisfying manner by now. I thought, too, that there was something fishy up when they wanted your telephone number and did not want to correspond via email (traceable). If they have done no wrong they should be happy to respond - to me - the silence indicates troubles... and hopefully it's only this one RMH and not others - you have given them ample time to respond - at this point, I'm not sure, if it were me, that I'd even give them another chance - they would just appease you - take it to the board.

I also have just heard that Goodwill does put things on ebay now...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You are all so eager to assume the very worst of these people without giving them the opportunity to explain before going over their heads. They may not even have received the email messages due to vacations, conferences, illnesses, computer crashes, any number of things.

Extreme Quilter, until you actually speak with them, I think you are being terribly unfair and, as a NPO administrator and board member, I find your prejudgement frightening. Why have you not picked up the phone and called them in all the weeks this has been eating at you?
Non-profits are required to operate in very specific ways and need to abide by donation rules and privacy laws. If they don't, it damages all non-profits because it raises questions in the minds of those thinking of making a donation. The original poster has already tried to resolve the issue at the local level with very poor results. At the very least, the head office needs to know about this so it can review its training standards and take some action to restore confidence in its policies. Even if the mistakes were made unintentionally, they need to be corrected and personnel need to be trained in appropriate procedures so it doesn't happen again to somebody else.

I think it is very unfair to put the burden of correcting this situation on the person who made a generous donation. As soon as the director was informed of what happened, she should have taken direct action to immediately correct any misunderstanding, apologize if a mistake had been made, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM

I'd contact the RMH headquarters. This kind of thing can really hurt them as you share with your friends (like us at Quilters Board). The word gets out about it and we will limit our contributions. Me for one.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by ghostrider

Non-profits are required to operate in very specific ways and need to abide by donation rules and privacy laws. If they don't, it damages all non-profits because it raises questions in the minds of those thinking of making a donation. The original poster has already tried to resolve the issue at the local level with very poor results. At the very least, the head office needs to know about this so it can review its training standards and take some action to restore confidence in its policies. Even if the mistakes were made unintentionally, they need to be corrected and personnel need to be trained in appropriate procedures so it doesn't happen again to somebody else.

I think it is very unfair to put the burden of correcting this situation on the person who made a generous donation. As soon as the director was informed of what happened, she should have taken direct action to immediately correct any misunderstanding, apologize if a mistake had been made, etc.
Thank you, Prism. You stated it better than I ever could have. I think I have shown much restraint and a lack of prejudgment. And as I have stated before, I plan to make a personal visit with documentation in hand. And it is much wiser to request written answers than to rely on oral representations.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Good for you about going in person. That way, IMO, they can't ignore you or your emails. They have to come up with some type of answer. I can see both sides of the problem...npo and donations, but the npo's need to really understand the donors side also? That by this type of thing happening, it hurts all npo's.
This is just MHO and I hope that you get this resolved soon. Keep us posted please?