Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House >

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 AM

Go immediately to headquarters. Do not stop at the Director, she obviously doesn't want to deal with this or her employee. I have been a director for over 20 years, I have never turned a customer or employee over to a staffer when they wanted to talk with me, especially if it pertains to questionable activities.
How do you know that the money went to RMH?
Go to headquarters!
D in Tx
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 AM

The clerk probably thought you gave them as a money raiser. If so that is another way for the RMcD house to raise money.
I,too, live a 5 min. drive from The RMcD.
ceegee
Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ceegee
The clerk probably thought you gave them as a money raiser. If so that is another way for the RMcD house to raise money.
I,too, live a 5 min. drive from The RMcD.
ceegee

No. We specifically discussed which quilts would be appropriate for which ages and which sexes of children as she viewed them.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 AM

It is sad to think that a organization would doupe a person so willing to give. Just maybe we should investigate these "organizations" before we give.

I had a lady in my shop last week that said her church over the years has given hundreds of quilts to other countries. They were always so happy and proud when they sent off a new batch of quilts.

Some church members went to work in one of these countries, and took pictures of run down like semi trailers filled with mountains of quilts not even being distributed!

My first thought was, why aren't they given to the needy, and what shape are those quilts in, stacked with bugs and just the elements able to ruin them.

Makes you think twice on making a donation. The church now helps out local organizations, the hospital, the domestic abuse center and social services to name a few.

It is sad to think that our heart felt intentions are not taken the way they are intended or an organization changes the rules to fit their needs as it goes along.

These type of stories have made me cautious of where to donate.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM

I've read several replys to that about the RMH. I agree with everyone of them, but I also believe that continueing to contact the staff director or worker is futile. My suggestion, since it has been gone on this long and now you are being ignored is to contact your States Attorney. Send copies of all the E-mail, etc along with your letter, number of quilts or any other information you can gather about the situation. They will look into it and if, indeed, the privacy act was abused, there will be penalities.

Good luck. I have for many years worked with Linus but never did I realize those quilts we make go to RMH. I also make lap quilts and deliver to a veteran's home in Southern Illinois. I know they get them because it is a one on one situation.

Good luck! If it is possible donate to a place where you know the individual is getting the product.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Dkm

Please take the time to follow this up. Quilters are giving people and we get joy out of giving to others. Selling to others is not the aim of CHARITY given in love and hoping this helps others to know someone cares. Keep all copies of the emails and I agree with others, they don't want any trace info. I don't think RM house would approve of this, nor do they want the negative light on their worthy causes.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we quilters are doing such a good job of making quilts for children that some of the charities have more than they can use. Once you give it to the charity, they can do with it as they see fit, which includes selling them so they have funds for things they need as well as hanging them on the wall to beautify the place.

My daughter has appointments at one of the places that gets donated quilts and they have way more than they need and not all of them are age appropriate so the counselor has a huge stack in her office waiting and a second stack looking for homes. She has passed some on to another agency hoping they can be used there. She feels really bad that she can't use all of them after "someone cared so much to make them."

We quilters can be generous to a fault, we want to do so much and want to be appreciated as well for our efforts but sometimes we have overwhelmed the people we are trying to help. The counselor I talked with said she doesn't need more quilts but she does have a "wish list" of things that could help her clients that most people wouldn't even think of and she wished she could re direct the generosity towards her needs.

I know we all want our quilts to wrap some child with the love we put into them. The charities want that too but are sometimes overwhelmed by our good deeds. Ronald McDonald house probably has the policy to accept all quilts with smiles and then they try to do the best they can with them.
It's not a ideal situation and everyone really means well.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannyHanaDa
Some church members went to work in one of these countries, and took pictures of run down like semi trailers filled with mountains of quilts not even being distributed!
Unless donations are sent directly to missionaries in the area, very few donations ever make it to the ones intended to receive them. There are too many deserving just in my town to keep all the community service projects made in town in town.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 AM
JS

I think under the circumstances most quilters would come to the same conclusion. By posting this she is trying to shed some light on this question and get reassurance about the problem from fellow quilters.Perhaps she misunderstood, perhaps not. I would not give out my phone number and would not want my email address given out either.Yes, when we give something away it is no longer ours to decide what is to be done with it,but when given with a certain understanding of how it is going to be used it hurts to see it used not in the manner it was meant. We all come this board with projects to share and also to get answers to questions and problems we experience in our day to day quilting.The people on this board have always been very helpful,understanding and have great insight when a quilter writes with his or her question or remarks. I hope by coming to the board and receiving many very good suggestions this lady will be able to clear this matter up with a possitve outcome for all. In the mean time, let us not assume ourselves that this quilter has taken a stand against RMH. We all know what happens when we do that.I choose to think after reading her story that she is just dumb founded and shocked about this experience and came to us for ...as I said before,reassurance and help as to where to go and what to do now.By not receiving an answer just exacerbates the problem. I know what I would have done under the circumstances,but we do not all think the same. Some like a little understanding and guidance before coming to the best conclusion.I am just sorry that what is a wonderful charity has come into such a light. Especially if it is just the fault of some staff members not following up and nipping this in the bud. For the rest of us let me say everyone who reads this and wants to do such a wonderful deed as this needs to remember this problem and does all their research and understands exactly where and what will happen to the cherished prizes we create with so much love,before you let them go. I am sorry this has happened to both parties,but not sorry she came to the board with it. It can only help us all in the future. Please lady quilter...let us know the outcome of this matter. We do need to hear the truth about what has happened. That too can only help us in the future.
Everyone stay safe ,,love ya all,
JS
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 AM

I would absolutely follow through.