Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House >

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kyiav10
I would definately contact the headquarters and email them again making them aware of it! How sad that this happened.

Kyia
I agree - Corporate Headquarters should be contacted - I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.

You might want to contact Ronald McDonald's sponsors as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I would email the "unknown person" and ask her questions how she "bought" it and go from there in contacting RMH.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Forget about the local people---you have made every reasonable attempt to find out exactly what happened. I would go to the corporate office immediately---make sure you have copies of all of the correspondance from both sides. Something is wrong---no money should have been involved and they should never have given out your info to anyone without your permission.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Hope the matter is cleared up soon.

It did make me think about the quilts donated to my Guild's Giving Closet. Members make them in all sizes and they are donated to local churchs or other groups in need. Members also make lots of little doll quilts that a local senior center gives to local children as Christmas gifts wrapped around a doll for girls or a teddy bear for boys. Some of our members make really beautiful orginal quilts and sometimes they are sold at the Holiday Shop as a fund raiser for the Guild. This has been mentioned over the years at Guild meetings but I think I'll ask that this info is included in all our newsletters so everyone is aware of it. Some of the donators might wish that their quilts only go to someone in need which is perfectly understanderable. May in Jersey
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
I donate quilts regularly and frequently to many charitable organizations and never thought I would be writing this.

I donated five quilts and three quilted storybooks to Ronald McDonald House in my neighborhood about three weeks ago. Prior to doing this, I contacted the director by e-mail to ask if they were interested, and she responded immediately to this e-mail and another e-mail setting up a delivery time. When I delivered the quilts and storybooks, the director was not in and the staffer who received these items bubbled with enthusiasm and gave me a receipt.

this seems rather iffy to say the least-----a charity MUST be seen to be squeaky clean to retain their credibility and this does not appear so; you MUST sort this out and not cease until you have----whatever has happened it is obviously very upsetting especially after all your good work and generosity.
If only others could be as generous. Bless you.

A few days later, I received an e-mail from an unknown person who said her daughter had "bought two quilts" from RMH that she thought were "so pretty." She wanted me to make one for her bed and asked me to call her. I wondered if she was a patient's mother, who her daughter was, and if my quilts were being sold rather than going directly to the ailing children.

I e-mailed the director asking for clarification. The director did not reply but forwarded my inquiry to the staffer who handled my donation. This staffer e-mailed me and asked for my home phone number to discuss "this little misunderstanding." Since I choose not to give out my phone number, I wrote back to her asking her to clarify by e-mail. She did not reply.

After a week, I e-mailed the director again with a "cc" to the staffer, asking for clarification and stating that the staffer did not reply to my inquiry. I was ignored again.

What would you think under these circumstances? That RMH makes it a practice to sell quilts for profit unbeknownst to the quilter? That they purposely mislead quilters to think their handiwork goes to the children? Why would they choose not to answer if they have nothing to hide?

Would you let the matter drop or would you contact national headquarters?

I feel hoodwinked and duped. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

I donate quilts regularly and frequently to many charitable organizations and never thought I would be writing this.

I donated five quilts and three quilted storybooks to Ronald McDonald House in my neighborhood about three weeks ago. Prior to doing this, I contacted the director by e-mail to ask if they were interested, and she responded immediately to this e-mail and another e-mail setting up a delivery time. When I delivered the quilts and storybooks, the director was not in and the staffer who received these items bubbled with enthusiasm and gave me a receipt.

this seems rather iffy to say the least-----a charity MUST be seen to be squeaky clean to retain their credibility and this does not appear so; you MUST sort this out and not cease until you have----whatever has happened it is obviously very upsetting especially after all your good work and generosity.
If only others could be as generous. Bless you.

A few days later, I received an e-mail from an unknown person who said her daughter had "bought two quilts" from RMH that she thought were "so pretty." She wanted me to make one for her bed and asked me to call her. I wondered if she was a patient's mother, who her daughter was, and if my quilts were being sold rather than going directly to the ailing children.

I e-mailed the director asking for clarification. The director did not reply but forwarded my inquiry to the staffer who handled my donation. This staffer e-mailed me and asked for my home phone number to discuss "this little misunderstanding." Since I choose not to give out my phone number, I wrote back to her asking her to clarify by e-mail. She did not reply.

After a week, I e-mailed the director again with a "cc" to the staffer, asking for clarification and stating that the staffer did not reply to my inquiry. I was ignored again.

What would you think under these circumstances? That RMH makes it a practice to sell quilts for profit unbeknownst to the quilter? That they purposely mislead quilters to think their handiwork goes to the children? Why would they choose not to answer if they have nothing to hide?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM

I would just contact RMH headquarters to ask about their policies. See if the money from the sale of quilts is being used for RMH?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM

I do hope when you get this issue resolved that you share with us the outcome. I donate a lot of quilts, too and would be shocked to know they aren't going where they are supposed to go. Thanks for sharing
Doug
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I would certainly investigate further. It sounds like their may have been mis-communication as to how the donation was to be used? Maybe? But I certainly would not donate again until they resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Did you try and contact the buyer and see exactly how she came about buying your quilt? Something sounds hinky. Let us know what you find out please.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I am very glad that you posted your question to the board.

I am the founder of a charity quilting group and it is very important to us where our quilts go and to be sure that they are being given to the children!!! Not being SOLD for profit! Currently we are making quilts for a County Department. Initially my communication was with the Director of Services. Now I correspond with a staffer and usually via e~mails (though we do have phone number contact info). I emailed the staffer not too long ago asking her if she would be available on a certain day and time as I had quilts to be delivered for the children. The staffer informed me that in the event that she was not there that I could just drop them off. ???? What?

I e~mailed back to the staffer and cc'd the Director that we do not "just drop off our quilts". We are a professional group of women and expected to be treated as such and are very concerned that our quilts would be stolen or lost from the children if we just dropped them off. I immediately received an email from the Director and she could not apologize enough. She said that she understood my concern and that she would take care of the matter......and she did!

That being said, I myself feel like something is not right (in your situation). Like several quilters have already said, there are so so many 'local' children in need in your own city. All you have to do is look in your phone book or google and you can find places to donate your quilts that you made with from your heart for the children. You can deliver your quilts personally and know that they are going where they are meant to go. That is why I founded my own Charity Quilting Group.

Please do let us know how this gets resolved!
Charity Quilter Dar