Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneven bobbin winding-bernina >

Uneven bobbin winding-bernina

Uneven bobbin winding-bernina

Old 01-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Yea! Thanks for the hug!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Thanks. I've been a sewing machine mechanic for almost 5 years.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM

Check the bobbin to make sure it is not bent. I had one that wound a bit off, hardly noticeable, but when I went to sew with it - Oh, my! I finally took the bobbin out and held loosely at the center opening - between my thumbnail and my pointer finger nail and gently pulled the thread. It wobbled like a bent wheel on a bike. One of the bobbin tops was bent inward. I probably dropped it at one time and stepped on it.

I also use my finger to guide the thread onto the bobbin while it's winding, but more to get maximum thread on the bobbin than anything else. I've only had one wind badly like yours, and that machine needed servicing desperately.

Good luck and hope you solve this problem quickly and cheaply!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 AM

I have a Bernina 1630 and experience the same problem. I am another one who controls the thread feed to the bobbin with my finger. For me the big deal with the bobbin is how does it effect the stitches. If the stitches are good, I'll use my finger and not worry.

Dealers are another story. I tend to get cranky when a service provider of any type blows smoke at me. Pocoellie is right regarding what a sewing machine service provider should provide.

Thanks for the thread because I thought my machine was the only wonky bobbin winder. Guess I'll have to pay more attention.

Pat
Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 AM

Boy I learn something new every now and then.Annette thank..Love this QB!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:15 AM

My vintage Kenmore does that sometimes. I just guide it with my finger. I find that my bobbins wind better if I use the Sidewinder bobbin winder. For some reason they seem to wind smoother and a lot faster.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM

I had that problem too. I noticed my thread was rising off the spindle. I started putting a cap in the upright spool and now it winds evenly again.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 AM

Just use your finger. I don't think it's your machine, I've found that some spools of thread just don't wind well without a little help. Good luck
Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 AM

I have a Bernina 1230 and just bought a 750QE. I have NEVER had this happen to my bobbins. I would be taking a fabric run to the dealer (an hour is not that bad!) and having them check it out again (at their expense). Then I would let it slip in appropriate circles that their service is not the friendliest. OR, knowing me, I would drop hints like, "Oh I hope that your day gets better." OR "sounds like you are having a bad day or are you always grumpy?"
I refused to deal with the Bernina dealer in a nearby town (an hour away) until they finally got a new WONDERFUL dealer in the same town.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM

QUOTE=pocoellie;7059232]Personally speaking, I would make the trip back and tell them to fix it right, then I would see about finding another dealer, I mean you did PAY them to service it and since they obviously didn't work on the bobbin, they did to make good on their service. Also I would talk to Bernina HeadQuarter's and complain about this dealer. You certainly pay through the nose for a Bernina, along with the fact that you have to have Bernina bobbins, Bernina feet, etc., that you also pay through the nose for.[/QUOTE]