Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneven bobbin winding-bernina >

Uneven bobbin winding-bernina

Uneven bobbin winding-bernina

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Default Uneven bobbin winding-bernina

This is what my bobbins look like most of the time...when my machine had her annual spa treatment, i was told the bobbin wound perfectly. The shop is an hour's drive and they aren't the nicest or most helpful people to begin with. Any ideas? The bobbin was wound in the correct direction-i just put thr bobbin back on the spindle for the picture...
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1230.

I control the thread feed to the bobbin with my finger. The thread has a path of about 8 inches from its last guide to the bobbin; I put my finger either on top of the thread or underneath to direct it towards the top or bottom of the bobbin so there is a more even wind. If more thread is winding at the top end, I place my finger on top of the thread to encourage it to move down the bobbin.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Oh my, when I've had problems I noticed that I placed the thread spool incorrectly on my machine - didn't think it would make a difference but it really made a mess of things - however, I do not have a Bernina - just thought I would add my experience.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Check your book and make sure you are putting the thread through all the guides before going to the bobbin. My Bernina has a little arrow on the top of my machine to tell me which direction to wind the thread around the little silver disc right before it goes to the bobbin. My bobbin does not look like that when I wind it. Make sure the bobbin is pushed all the way into the spindle before winding also.

Check that your spool is in the right position depending on how the thread is wound on it. Stacked thread spools like to be vertical and cross wound thread spools like to be horizontal.

Opps, just noticed in your picture that your cross wound thread is horizontal so that's not the problem.

Last edited by Tartan; 01-22-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I agree, check your manual to make sure you have the thread going thru the correct path. I don't wind the bobbin at a fast speed. I have an older Bernina 1530. If I see a bobbin winding uneven, I use my finger to get it back on track.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Great video about thread delivery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO5K6AA2sY
Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

i have several brands of machine. my bobbins don't always wind well. so i use my finger to encourage the thread to wind evenly. i don't like winding bobbins, so i use prewounds most of the time. every now and again, though, i need a special color for the bobbin.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM

Personally speaking, I would make the trip back and tell them to fix it right, then I would see about finding another dealer, I mean you did PAY them to service it and since they obviously didn't work on the bobbin, they did to make good on their service. Also I would talk to Bernina HeadQuarter's and complain about this dealer. You certainly pay through the nose for a Bernina, along with the fact that you have to have Bernina bobbins, Bernina feet, etc., that you also pay through the nose for.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

When I don't use prewounds I always wind bobbins using a thread stand. On all my machines the bobbins are filled evenly. I use a thread stand for all spools and cones of thread. Sometimes I use the Sidewinder and it does a better job then the bobbin winding in the picture you posted. I have a Bernina 1260 and it winds the bobbin evenly so the shop repair people are not doing their job. What is it with so many greedy non caring dealers anymore? The brand headquarters of the machines don't seem to care about the bad dealers, they never do anything about the complaints.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM

Just a tought... are you using the correct kind of bobbin?