Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unloved Quilt Cont'd

Unloved Quilt Cont'd

The quilting is finished and cat approved and I'll start on the binding tomorrow. Cat's name is Noodles. I'm going to try glue basting it the way Sharon Schamber does it. Any words of wisdom from those who have done it?

Name:  IMG_1600.JPG
Views: 1109
Size:  132.7 KB

cat is cute
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I think Noodles wants to keep it. Why is it unloved?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I tried glue on binding once and when pressed with the iron as called for, the glue came through the fabric. irritating since i barely put any on. so never used glue again. Good luck though.

If you search the main forum under "Poor Unloved Quilt" you can see the story. Soon, however, it will be going to its forever home where it will be loved.

I'm wondering if I can use any glue like Roxanne's or Quiter's Choice. Both are supposed to be washable.

Yay! Glad you at the finish line with your quilt. I have used the glue method. Use a fine line and a light touch. It's better than a thick line of glue. Iron the binding down to hold or use the small plastic clips. Ironing is fastest though.

We just learned how to make flange binding with the strip cutters. Have fun with your binding and your UN-loved quilt. Hopefully, it will be loved again soon! LOL!

Power Poster
    Use the Elmer's washable glue sparingly as it can creep out onto the quilt and make the binding edge too stiff to easily get the needle through. I have been using the Elmer's washable glue stick for basting on small projects. I think I will try it on bindings next as it is easier to control and doesn't make the fabric wet.

Blog Entries
    I bind all my quilts the Sharon S glue method. It is the best, and always perfect! I use elmers washable school glue, watered down to 50 % and I have the metal tips to make a small amount flow out.

I use Elmer's washable glue stick to hold binding corners until I get them sewed. It washes out, no problem sewing through it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I tried glue on binding once and when pressed with the iron as called for, the glue came through the fabric. irritating since i barely put any on. so never used glue again. Good luck though.
    When I press my glue to dry it, I have two extra pieces of cotton upholstery fabric (think canvas type), I use them as a press cloth, and a protection for my ironing board cover. I zigzagged the edges of them so I can wash the glue out as needed. I refer to them as “my sacrificial cloths”. Sacrificial because they is slowly turning brown from being ironed so much. (They are sacrificed by their nearly continual use.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

First, what a sweet quilt inspector. I do glue baste my bindings and I find that it helps to make the binding easier to control. I usually use Roxanne's Glue Baste It. Their applicator tips really helps you get a thin line of glue, which you want, because to much glue will seep into the fabric and make it stiff and hard to get a needle through. The glue is washable so it easily comes out when the quilt is washed.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha