Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on garage sewing room decision... >

Update on garage sewing room decision...

Update on garage sewing room decision...

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
DH and I shared a bedroom so my kids could too. I moved my two girls in one room and took the other for my sewing room. DH had a workshop behind the house so he understood I needed my own room for quilting. Our next house, I took over the den, the kids didn't like that idea either. The house now, I have a two room studio.
I have two rooms also for my sewing. The Long arm takes up the second room.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Like the others say, you'll figure it out. Keep those "little gray cells thinking" and it will come to you.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM

When my children were growing up I used to stake out a "sewing space" first was a desk in the bedroom, then a corner in the laundry room, next was a closet off the kitchen, then half of the family room. Finally I was able to have a whole room for sewing when oldest daughter left home and I have had my room ever since. Hang in there it will happen.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Dawn, have you ever seen the book Dream Sewing Spaces? I LOVE that book. It's been out for several years so I'm hoping it is "new" to you. See if you can get a copy from the library and start planning. :-) It has some very cool, clever ideas. What about a basement?
I haven't had a basement in 20 years and still have yet to figure out where people put their basement stuff, lol. :-)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by DawnA View Post
Thank you all for your input! I have decided that the cost of making a separate room in the garge (the way I want it) would be way too much. So as of now I am still sewing at the dinner table. All three bedrooms are in use by ourselves and children. We have a galley kitchen and the dinning room is where we eat. lol I think I might have hurt my 12 year olds feelings the other day talking out loud. I mentioned that when she goes to college at least I would have a sewing room. lol She looked horrified and informed me she is never moving out! lol
A week after my dd left home, my ds came over & helped me arrange my sewing room. The first time my dd came home, she said "you couldn't wait to get me out of here?" I said "that's right, that's every parents dream to see thier children grown & on thier own".
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM

My kids (3) had moved out before I started quilting. I started on the dining room table, but it was hard to do every thing there. I pinned my quilts on the kitchen floor. Then I moved into my oldest son's room (9' X 15'). It was great! But...I was still using the kitchen floor to pin. So I began to look at LA's...couldn't afford an expensive one. We got a good tax return that year and DH said to "go for it". My Voyager 17 with the 10' frame fit the room, but I didn't have room for everything else. So I cleaned out the walk-in closet which was 5' X 8' and moved everthing else in there....except the ironing board and the big cutting board which went in the other spare bedroom and the office! When my grandkids came to visit, the girls slept in the camper or livingroom and the boys slept under the quilting frame. About a year ago, we purchased a 14' X 24' shed and finished it off. Now everything is out there and I have two guest rooms and a futon in the office.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 PM

That sewing cabinet would be great. I have a sewing cave that I don't use, too cold. so my sewing is everywhere. I do have a computer armwore that I think I can modify to be a sewing cabinet but first need to clean the stash from around.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM

I also use my dinning room. The light is great and i don't feel remote. and I can have visitors also .HB says he building me a craft room. We'll see who uses it most. You know we could live in yurts. Then we (I)would really run in circles.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM

The day that my second son left for college, I was tearing the wallpaper off as he backed out of the driveway. Husband agreed that it would be tacky to put the paint gallons in the hallway before he left! My philosophy was that if you move out, you loose the rights to the room. I have five kids and it took some time to put that into practice.
SandyQuilter
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Oh, that room became my sewing room. He returned for the summer, walked into the bedroom with a suitcase in each hand, me right behind reminding him of the rule, and he saw what I'd done, then did a 180 turn and walked out.
End of discussion.
SandyQuilter