Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Use for polyester material.

Quote Originally Posted by grannylou
    Do you have trouble keeping them on the bed? Do they slide off? Just wondering. I am open to anything. I want to do lap quilts for some nursing home folks anyway. So that would be a way to use the material.
    No. She used bed sheets for the back so no problem staying on the beds. Kids used them for bedspreads for years.

What do you think of using the polyester as a quilt backing? I have a huge piece of white with a raised pattern on it; I am thinking of using it with either no batting or a very thin batting and just tying it.

Hmmm. How about lining your garbage cans with it instead of using bags;>

two ideas.....

cut long strips and crochet into a rug
    or
    make grocery sacks. Washable and lightweight

Blog Entries
    polyester wears like steel---
    would be good for placemats, table toppers, tote bags, purses, home dec projects- christmas ornaments, and utility quilts (the drag around ones the kids can have picnics on or build forts with...there is nothing wrong with using up polyester fabrics.

My guild makes mats for the Animal Shelter. Also, you could make dog scarves and catnip toys.

Blog Entries
    Slice it up on the bias and weave baskets from it?
    Here's a thread from this board http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38922-1.htm

Our church guild uses polyester fabric to back charity quilts. The fronts are a very simple pieced pattern...they use every bit of fabric, no matter what it is.

If you're not much interested, I'd pass it on to someone who's thrilled with it. I find if i don't start out loving my fabric, the project drags on f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

If you don't want to mess with it - take it to a senior citizens center - they will definitely put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
    You can make blankets like the tied fleece ones with two layers and give to homeless shelters. That fabric will be around forever, but it is warm.
    How about making these into quillos? If they are for the homeless, it would make an attached pocket so the blanket can fold into itself and easier to carry if the person isn't staying inside a shelter.

last time i had fabric like that i wrote some simple instructions, and i mean simple, then called the battered women's shelter (these were 45 inch by whatever, they were all at least 2 yards long), and they were happy to take them, i sent along some red heart varigated yarn that i had carried around for years, the shelter got batting donated from an upholstery shop, the end result was whole cloth quilts, and the children were able to participate. i was told that they just fringed and tied the sides and ends, they used darning needles to tie them together. i saw a photo of some, and the works in process, it seemed to be a hit, made me feel good, and i got thank you notes. if i run into somemore i will do the same again.

just an idea

jan in palatka

I have 2 quilts that my grandmother made out of polyester. They are the 1st quilts that my kids and their friends grab when they are having movie night. They always say that those quilts are the most comfortable and the warmest. I don't think they will ever wear out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK
    My sister makes the cutest rugs from polyester that we used to call Fortrell. She cuts the poly into squares--lots and lots of squares. Then she folds each one into a triangle and sews down the center, adding a second triangle about half way along and then a third and so on. Then she takes a piece of heavy canvas and cuts an oval or heart or whatever. She draws concentric lines on it, starting at the center and working outward. I think the lines are about 1-2 inches apart. She also finishes the edges of the canvas so that they won't fray. Now she takes that long strip of poly triangles and, following her origional seam, sews it to the canvas. The points stick up and make a lovely soft rug.
    This sounds like a neat idea!!! Curious about what size the squares are that she uses. And, I'd like to see a picture.

Poly is being requested for philanthropy quilts destined for some areas of the world as cotton won't stand up to being washed a lot in local rivers. Check with church groups or guilds to see who is making and donating quilts for that

Braid rugs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK
    My sister makes the cutest rugs from polyester that we used to call Fortrell. She cuts the poly into squares--lots and lots of squares. Then she folds each one into a triangle and sews down the center, adding a second triangle about half way along and then a third and so on. Then she takes a piece of heavy canvas and cuts an oval or heart or whatever. She draws concentric lines on it, starting at the center and working outward. I think the lines are about 1-2 inches apart. She also finishes the edges of the canvas so that they won't fray. Now she takes that long strip of poly triangles and, following her origional seam, sews it to the canvas. The points stick up and make a lovely soft rug.
    I did this same thing and posted a picture awhile ago of the top I made for the toilet tank. I have several of these as rugs in my bathrooms as well. They last for ever. You can pick your colors or do a theme of all blues or whatever.

Yes, please do....

Quote Originally Posted by cmrenno
    I recently saw a rug made of knit. It was so cute. I googled and found a pattern.

Could you please share the site for the pattern that you found for the rug.

Thanks,
    Colleen

they are good for the back of quilted pillows

If it is heavy I saw a really cool rug. IT was made of 2 inch squares folded into triangles then sewn down only through the center of the triangle to a jean backing starting on the outer edge and circling into the center. It was easy to wash, durable and slightly cushy.

They are great for making heavier weight curtains. I made mine for the South side of the house during the winter it keeps the cold out even though we have good windows and during the summer keeps the heat out.Wish I could find another bargain of polyester to make more curtains these are probably 20 years old now and they only thing wrong is the backside is fading finally.I still need to make curtains for a couple more rooms in the house and then I will be done .I also made a quilt out of it and it is super warm now.Absolutely LOVE it!!!!!!

I have never had a problem mixing cotton and cotton/poly blends in the same quilt. If you are talking about the polyester double knit from back in the 60's it makes wonderful quilts for nursing homes. It can be boiled for sanitation and it never wears out. It is so heavy you do not need batting and I have only used flannel for backing. I was given a truckload of it and I cut out designs of some bright colors and appliqued them to the solid pieces, backed it, tied it and called it a quilt. The local nursing homes loved them and I was very happy to see the last of it go!

Blog Entries
    I have a quilt made of polyester material that my great-aunt made for me in 1982. She just used a thin batting, but it is so warm.

the regular double knit polyester does not slide off the bed, but the thinner heat transfer polyester prints do tend to slide off I have found over the years of use.

I like your idea. I have about 6 yards of red and about 4 yards of green solids. I like the idea of the applique idea. Thanks. There have been a lot of ideas and I am sure I will use some of them. I have about 6 lap quilts I need to do for nursing home/shut in folks from our church. My husband and I do visitation and I have been wanting to do this. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast