Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Elmers School Glue Instead of Pins

Yes, I watched the Schamber tutes and they were a big help. Now I choose either the glue stick or glue tip depending on how precise my glue needs to be. It matters! I use binder clips where I can to help because pinning is getting harder for my arthritic hands. I don't want to have to give up my passion and using anything that helps is a big plus for me. Are others in this spot?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I also have trouble keeping the little tips from clogging.
    I put an applique pin in the metal tip and don't bother to close it. The pin works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwheart View Post
    I use binder clips where I can to help because pinning is getting harder for my arthritic hands.
    If you're talking about the binder clips you get at office supply stores, just be careful not to leave them on your binding for too long, I used one that rusted.

Blog Entries
    I saw it on the video too, although I did not have much sucess with it. It made the material stiff, and I found it hard to get a needle through (that was on the binding).

Blog Entries
    I sure am going to give it a big try!!
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

I have been going to try the glue stick on binding, but keep forgetting. Maybe I will remember on this next quilt.

We had a tutor come to our class last year and we did drunkards path using Elmers school glue. Absolutely brilliant. We pooled all the squares we made and made a joint quilt in a day! We did not have the special pipette but it worked quite well without. Only difficulty was racking our brains as to whom we knew in the United States who would buy it and send it to us. I was lucky - had a friend who lives in Florida who comes over every year to visit her son who lives in the next door village..........!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueN View Post
    Instead of buying expensive tips, get a cheap mechanical pencil. Unscrew the tip from the pencil, take the orange tip off the school glue bottle. With a pair of non-fabric scissors, snip the tip off the school glue bottle. Start with just a little snip, see if the mechanical pencil tip fits. If it is too big, cut a bit more off the bottle. Keep snipping until it fits fairly well. You may get some leakage around the edge, but don't worry, the glue will self-seal the crack.
    Genius !!
    CHOCOLATE MAKES MY CLOTHES SHRINK.

Blog Entries
    I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem. If you go slow and don't let a lot of glue come out at once there is no mess. This is the only way I do binding & piecing where the pieces are stubborn or need to be extremely exact. It started at a quilt retreat when I was making a memory quilt for my daughter out of her boys outgrown clothing. There were many different kinds of fabrics & weights and I included pieces of bibs and receiving blankets and had a hard time keeping the seams together with pins so I tried the glue and other members of the retreat thought at first I was out of my mind but when they saw how much easier it was they started calling me the glue lady. I also used the school glue stick for some of the pieces. Both worked great but the regular glue was easier to apply especially on knits and flannels.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Yes and it works wonderfully well. The tiny tip is really needed so you don't get the fabric to saturated with the glue. After you do it a while it goes fairly quickly. I like the fact that everything is held solidly in place before stitching.

It's a Sharon Schamber trick. You can find it on youtube. I've used it and it's perfect. You can also use the Elmer's school glue (which is a starch). It's great for doing mitered corners also.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour View Post
    I work pt at a fabric store & a customer told me about using Elmers School Glue (has to be the school glue) instead of pinning. When she initially tried it (she was skeptical of this), she immediately liked this method better than pinning. She said it made it so easy to be perfectly accurate.

She bought a special tip that goes on the glue bottle to ensure a thin line. Runs the line of glue inside of the 1/4" seam allowance towards the raw edge of fabric, then goes over it with her iron to hold it. She said the school has cornstarch in it and it completely water soluble so if you want to remove the glue, just wet it a little bit. She said there is absolutely no shifting of fabric and her seams match perfectly.

Has/does anyone done this? I am going to try it out next time I am working on a quilt.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    I've done it many times. I learned this technique from a Sharon Schamber video where she uses it for her binding. But I've used it on other seams as well. My seams match up perfectly when I use it..much better than with pins. I've never tried wetting it to loosen the pieces but I would imagine it would work. It does wash out completely.
    Cindy

I too, have watched Sharon Schamber's video how to's for using School Glue to hold a binding until you sew it. It works great. The skinny tip makes the whole process very easy. You will be just putting on a very skinny line of glue within the seam allowance. Then heat set with your iron. It all washes out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts View Post
    I saw it on the video too, although I did not have much sucess with it. It made the material stiff, and I found it hard to get a needle through (that was on the binding).
    If your binding is stiff, you used too much glue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    interesting, but what if you don't finish this top/quilt for a year or so?
    If you live in an area with high humidity it might not be the best choice for you because of bugs. I live in a really humidity area, so I wouldn't be afraid to use it on a top that takes a long time. I have only used school glue on a few seams that were really obnoxious. I do use it on my bindings, because I have to sew my bindings on. It really helps.
    Sadiemae

Elmers glue works great for bindings. I used a special tip at first,but after using this method for several quilts. I now use the glue bottle without a special tip.

Blog Entries
    I used some on my applique. But, have never used it for binding or instead of pins. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I use it all the time for applique and love it. I read about it somewhere and have been using it ever since.

Yes! Just yesterday I tried this with Elmers school glue, and added a tip from my cake decorating kit - to provide me with a smaller line of glue as it was applied. I used this idea after watching a video, on the seam, lightly pressed with the iron, and proceeded to sew the seam. It works great! I'm sold on this idea from now on!

I have been using the glue method for over a year now, I always "steam" my quilts before I give them away and the glue just disappears from the steam. (I have a front loading LG washing machine that has a steam clean function)
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    I use it ALL the time specially for applique, needle turned or raw edge. I also use the Glue stick, the purple one and then lightly iron it till it disappears. Never a problem, never gums the needle. Never alters the feel or texture.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I love using a glue stick. I think it is not as messy as the glue bottle, although I have used both and they work wonderful.
    Be an organ donor
    Give your heart to Jesus

Using Elmers School glue Instead of Pins

Love, love, love using this technique. I always struggled in getting perfectly matched seams and well-constructed, well made bindings. But now? Very attainable every time!! Learned this technique from Sharon Schamber videos...if you haven't seen them...please do so. Connie in California
    Connie in California

I have used the school glue stick for years. I first started using it to place the top hoop where I wanted it for my machine embroidery. Was a lot cheaper than the one that they sold for that purpose. I have used it in place of pins except on curves. Pins are better there. It has my thumbs up ! Never had any proplem washing it out.
    Gloria

Blog Entries
    I have and do use this method , so far no problems.
    TxCaRose

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast