Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Using Elmers School Glue Instead of Pins

Very interesting thread. I've heard about using glue but never done it.

Blog Entries
    I use it and love it.

this is new to me and is going to be so helpful to my residents in our quilting program! thank you for the info

Wow lots of great info here. I've only used glue in my bindings but I'm going to start trying it in other areas. Thanks for all the great info.
    Kim

Blog Entries
    I insert a "long" pin in the tip of my metal glue bottle top/tip and it never clogs.

Thankyou for posting the videos...I just watched all three and am amazed...I learned so much and her technique and using glue is awesome...I am going to do my binding like this...very informative...
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give....

wher can i get the tips thanks suzieQ

I don't think I need to use the glue, but ironing the crease for the stitching line would be really nice.

Blog Entries
    This glue method is my preferred method too. No clips or pins, a little glue on the fingers sometimes, but that beats pin holes in my arm.

Blog Entries
    I have done this for a long time and learned it from a quilting tutorial. It works and you may use it safely. It can be repositioned, if needed. At $.99 a bottle, what a bargain. Oh yes, there is a similar product on some of the notion sites for $9.95, but it couldn't possibly work better than Elmer's School glue. Get the white kind and you will probably like the special tip, although I don't have one. Sometimes I have to clean a seam on the right side with warm water and a cotton cloth. That works too. Try it you'll like it. No more stuck fingers.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    So which works better, the liquid glue or the glue stick?
    No pulling or stretching with the liquid, so it gets my vote over the glue stick for binding. Glue stick works fine for paper piecing. I really like the school glue for binding - SOOOOOOO fast - especially if you're a macine sewer, because you don't have to be super careful. You have to be a little more careful where you put the glue if you're going to hand finish the binding.
    I'm not an appliquer - but I cn see how it would be a help - again, for machine applique where you wouldn't have to be as careful about where you put the glue. It would work for hand appliquers, but youI don't think you would want the glue very close to the edges.

I have found them either at Micheals or Hobby Lobby and they are near the paint section of the stores. the last ones I purchased were in a blue box with clear plastic and the name is Loew Cornell and it says 14 piece Bottles and tips. I think I found them with in the last year, as I give them to friends as part of there birthday present.

Good Luck

Suzy

Thanks, MTS, for the links.

Blog Entries
    yeap I have and use it all the time. Washes out easily and can cut smoothly.

MTS, Thank you so much for the links to Sharon Schambers videos on binding quilts. I had not seen this method before, it looks very interesting. I want to try glue basting on my next quilt binding.
    Last edited by Marycumi; 03-30-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: grammer

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried the duct tape nozzle? When working with carpenter's glue in the workshop, I will use a created duct tape nozzle. The size of the bead is completely in my control. The glue keeps the tape from sticking to itself. Sometimes, a small straw will give the tool a bit more structural strength if the project is large.

If you can't afford the specialty tips, it is worth a try and there is no cleaning at the end! Just remove the tip and toss in the trash.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Sharon Schamber using it as a basting tool and she makes absolutely stunning quilts and her longarm quilting is to die for. She has won countless awards. She has many tips for its use on her website.
    http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ee%20Stuff.htm
    Last edited by AnnaF; 03-30-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Sharon Schamber using it as a basting tool and she makes absolutely stunning quilts and her longarm quilting is to die for. She has won countless awards. She has many tips for its use on her website.
    http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ee%20Stuff.htm
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Elmers Craft Bond repositionable glue sticks are WONDERFUL. Make sure that the glue stick has the word 'repositionable' on it. I bought mine at WalMart that was sold in a set of 4 sticks. They are 3" long.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    So which works better, the liquid glue or the glue stick?
    I have the tips and have used them with the bottle of glue. Personally, I prefer the glue sticks. Really like it for the bindings, which is mostly what I use it for.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
    But someone posted it has cornstarch--food, bugs, or does that not matter?
    It washes out easily.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    If you're talking about the binder clips you get at office supply stores, just be careful not to leave them on your binding for too long, I used one that rusted.
    I use the medium sized hair clips you can buy at Sally's hair supply for holding my binding. I bought a box of 80 for $3.99.... good deal for me and they work

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    No pulling or stretching with the liquid, so it gets my vote over the glue stick for binding. Glue stick works fine for paper piecing. I really like the school glue for binding - SOOOOOOO fast - especially if you're a macine sewer, because you don't have to be super careful. You have to be a little more careful where you put the glue if you're going to hand finish the binding.
    I'm not an appliquer - but I cn see how it would be a help - again, for machine applique where you wouldn't have to be as careful about where you put the glue. It would work for hand appliquers, but youI don't think you would want the glue very close to the edges.
    If the glue is on the fabric when you sew it, will the glue not gum up the sewing machine ?

I have used both liquid an stick like it much better than pins. joyce j

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morag View Post
    If the glue is on the fabric when you sew it, will the glue not gum up the sewing machine ?
    The glue is dry when you sew. It won't gum up the machine. For the most part, though, you are not actually sewing through the glue; the glue is mostly in the seam allowance, holding the pieces together.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast