Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using fleece instead of batting

Quote Originally Posted by sengell View Post
    I am going to try fleece in next kids quilt. Can you still FMQ with a fleece batting?
    I can't FMQ with my domestic machine, I just can't get the hang of it. So I put mine on my frame & quilt that way. I guess that means yes? The biggest thing is Baste Baste Baste! When loading the fleece on my frame, I have to be super careful not to stretch it, otherwise the quilt will distort.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    Stupid question time: Is fleece cheaper than a decent cotton batting? Although, I suppose that's one of those YMMV questions, huh? Depending on where you get it, whether you can find remnant/clearance pieces-parts, or the weight/thickness you purchase.

Warm & Natural is on sale/clearance at Joann's this week for 50% off...$22.xx for queen size. But I don't know how that compares to fleece yardage.
    Fleece is anywhere from $7-$17/yard for 58" wide. I wouldn't want to do a pieced back out of fleece, because of the bulk of the seams. I also buy my batting in bulk, usually the queen size 40-yd roll. But then, this is part of my income.

It works fine, just a little slick when quilting and I think it is heavy. I has a better drape then lets say warm and natural.
    Anna Quilts

I haven't tried fleece for batting but I am going to give it a try. I have a lot of fleece scraps that I am going to zigzag together and try. Does anyone have ideas for scrap fleece?

Blog Entries
    When you say fleece do you mean polar fleece or fleece that sweatshirts are made from. I've used polar fleece on charity quilts for babies and toddlers as the are warm & cuddly but not heavy.

QM
    I have made several this way. I particularly like the idea for foster kids, who really do need something to cuddle. I just bought a bunch of fleece from Marshall Dry Goods for this purpose. I do make a real effort not to have a fleece that pills badly.

First I have heard of using fleece, are you using the printed kind they make tie blankets from??? Or something else ?
    llweezie

By printed I mean novelty !!
    llweezie

Blog Entries
    Polar fleece as one layer instead of batting and backing, yes!! Use it for creations going to cold country. Use flannel as batting and backing for baby blankies staying in warm country. I do use batting sometimes. Just depends on the project and recipient.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I wonder if you could spray baste fleece. This has been a wonderful lot of information for me, a beginner quilter! Thank you all!

When the granddaughter made a quilt for her soldier boy, we used Elmer's Glue, did the cross stitch quilting, had zero issues!!
    Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  793.0 KBName:  Back.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  518.8 KB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I was wondering the same as some others. I guess everyone is talking about the kind that stretches? The printed kind? Are there not 2 kinds of fleece? The printed one and the kind I use in purses? Some of those are fusible. I see those on a bolt with the interfacing.

I'm glad the question about using Elmer's glue was answered. I've basted the last few quilts I've done this way and I love it, but never tried it with fleece. I've got some that I'm going to use as backing, so I'm going to give the glue a try on it.

AZ Jane, did you quilt the Army quilt on a frame or your sewing machine. I want to use the glue basting and quilt on my frame.
    Thanks for the great picture.

Blog Entries
    I have used flannel too, It makes a nice backing and batting for baby quilts. .especially if you tie.

I made a simple small "ship" pattern a while back and used fleece as the backing. I was going to give it away but fell in love with it. And it matches my sofa very well. Love to lay the fleece side on my legs while watching TV!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have the jean quilt all cut out, the fleece that I am putting on the backing for a rag quilt all cut out and ready to go for when I get my quilting mojo back. My cousin is the one who told me about using fleece for the rag quilts and suggested using it for batting instead of batting as it will be warmer and lighter weight. She uses robe weight that she finds at wally for 2.95 a yard.

Smart woman my cousin is; she has been using fleece for years in her quilts; she is just now telling me her secret !LOL She is in her 70's.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

IF you use fleece for backing----------check it for stretchiness. Some fleece has almost NO body and is a major pain in the patoot to work with. Generally the really cheap stuff is too stretchy.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    IF you use fleece for backing----------check it for stretchiness. Some fleece has almost NO body and is a major pain in the patoot to work with. Generally the really cheap stuff is too stretchy.
    That's what my quilting guru told me. She said you have to be careful of puckering and bunching when quilting and something about putting the stretchiest direction either width wise or length wise on your top, only I can't remember which now!

I use fleece as batting and backing (one layer) for all my hospital donations. I was the fleece first. After the quilt is finished and quilted, I was it again. The hospital loves them and gives them to the patients when they are discharged.

I am making a kid's quilt with fleece backing, I love it! I used to live in Apache Junction and then moved to Vermont. Right now I am looking at snow and a little cold. Beatiful countryside out there.

wow I am so happy I read this thread, I've always heard of people using it but now I want to try it, I want to make a large queen size quilt and use fleece as batting & backing...I wonder though, some spoke of bulk on seams on the back....I wonder if you would be able to tell at all once its on the bed?
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Blog Entries
    Fleece doesn't need to be washed first. The only down side is that it stretches while you are quilting UNLESS you use spray adhesive to baste it. I've had great success that way. I use fleece as the backing for baby quilts, and I machine quilt them.

Yes, but you have to baste well.

You can bind in the traditional way.

I like to use solid fleeces for batting. I wouldn't hesitate to use a printed fleece for a combo/batting back to a quilt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast