Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Using fleece instead of batting

I've done that, too!

Quote Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
    When you use fleece as the backing, do you bind it in the traditional way or use another method?

Tate
    I've done traditional binding and also have folded the fleece over for self binding following this tutorial. She used batting too which I don't so skip the part about having to trim the batting! It was kind of awkward the 1st time I did it because the fleece is a bit stretchy but when I was finished I loved the look of it and will do it again.

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...-backing.html#

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    Fleece doesn't need to be washed first. The only down side is that it stretches while you are quilting UNLESS you use spray adhesive to baste it. I've had great success that way. I use fleece as the backing for baby quilts, and I machine quilt them.
    I second this - spray baste is a MUST! I had puckers when I carefully pin basted because I wasn't sure how the spray would stick the 1st time I did it. My top stuck to the polar fleece easily using 505 and I had no puckers at all.

I have NOT tried fleece, now I'm giving it some thought, thank YOU.

I really do like using flannel as batt especially for grand kids quilts, it has a nice hand, comfy cozy.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
    wow I am so happy I read this thread, I've always heard of people using it but now I want to try it, I want to make a large queen size quilt and use fleece as batting & backing...I wonder though, some spoke of bulk on seams on the back....I wonder if you would be able to tell at all once its on the bed?
    This suggestion may wake the quilt police but what the heck---------here goes---------------
    Since fleece does not fray, you can lay about 1/2 to 3/4 inch edge of one piece over the edge of the piece you're attaching it to. Right sides up. Then loosely zigzag the edge showing. Turn the piece over and zigzag the other raw edge. I did that for a fleece blanket and you almost have to look for the seam. I've done that more than once since the blanket. Since it's only two thicknessed rather than 3, there's almost no lump.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I've used fleece backs and tied quilts for homeless people. I have sometimes used batting also, sometimes not, depending whether the shelter had heat at night or not.

What I wonder is:

--how it would be if I used a normal cotton top, fleece for batting, and a normal cotton backing or

--what would happen if I tried to QAYG with fleece as a back and sewing strips (for string quilts, for instance) in a flip and sew method directly on top of that. Would it be hard to sew those fleece-backed blocks together?

--Do you have problems with fleece getting into your machines?

This thread has got me thinking. I have several fleece throws that were given to my chilldren through the years - they have princesses or cartoon characters on them. Been washed a zillion times so they're not going to shrink anymore - some of the pics haven't even faded or pilled so they're made of good stuff. The kids are now teens and early 20s. They don't want them anymore. Think I could use them as batting?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    I have made several with fleece. Since it is polyester which does not shrink, I preshrink the top fabrics and then cut and piece them. Then sew them together. Makes a nice warm quilt with not as much weight as a quilt with the cotton batting.
    I was always told to wash my fleece before using it for anything, even though poly does't shrink fleece can shrink because the fabric gets stretched a little as it is rolled on to the roll and you need to wash it to relax the fibres.

I've never thought of using fleece before now and I think the idea is brilliant! I live in Canada and could use the added warmth on the back of my couch quilt.
    Here is a great site I found on using fleece for a quilt back...
    http://quiltersdiary.com/quilts-with...fleece-fabric/

Do you suppose we could use those fleece blankets (the fleece throws) that are marked down soooo cheap at the after Christmas sales? We were in Sears yesterday and they were selling for $3.99 - Holiday prints & colors (Disney ones going for $9.99)and I had a brief thought about picking up a couple for some smaller quilts . . . hmm
    Katie

Kindness matters . . .

I have a question for the advanced quilters out there... If I make a quilt top out of jellyrolls which can't be prewashed should I stay away from a fleece backing?
    If I can't use fleece my next question is, if the quilt top isn't pre washed should the back not be pre washed also?

I made many many quilts this way and I like it, they are soft cozy and warm. I also made my husband a KC Chiefs quilt using minky I got from the thrift store, he loves it!

I love the idea of this, and have wondered the same thing. Chalk one up for hitting a random page on the forum and reading the subjects for lots of great information. What a great group of helpful people!
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

When I make fleece blankets, I sew a scallop stitch around the edges and then cut the outside with my rotaty cutter with a scallop blade in. This makes for a nice finish and is much easier than doing binding or doing ties around the edge. It also looks very nice with the scallop.

Quote Originally Posted by asimplelife;579On my fleece blankets, I just do a scallop stitch around the outside and then use my rotary cutter with my scallop b lade to cut around it. Is m0507
    I've done traditional binding and also have folded the fleece over for self binding following this tutorial. She used batting too which I don't so skip the part about having to trim the batting! It was kind of awkward the 1st time I did it because the fleece is a bit stretchy but when I was finished I loved the look of it and will do it again.

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...-backing.html#
    Last edited by JudyMcLeod; 01-16-2013 at 07:50 PM.

I have made a few quilts with the top and fleece for the back, no batting. Mine holds up great thru washings. I just washed it again yesterday.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I have used it a few times and it is great!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Quote Originally Posted by KLTQuilts View Post
    Do you suppose we could use those fleece blankets (the fleece throws) that are marked down soooo cheap at the after Christmas sales? We were in Sears yesterday and they were selling for $3.99 - Holiday prints & colors (Disney ones going for $9.99)and I had a brief thought about picking up a couple for some smaller quilts . . . hmm

Lay them on a hard table then run your hand over them. If your hand stretches the fabric out of shape, think hard about using them. Then again, a lot of it depends on how closely you baste or pin.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Thanks you guys!! You're the best!

FYI- Glacier Fleece is on sale at Hancock fabrics (dot com) for 3.99 a yard (down from 8.99) today through Monday

Quote Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
    I second this - spray baste is a MUST! I had puckers when I carefully pin basted because I wasn't sure how the spray would stick the 1st time I did it. My top stuck to the polar fleece easily using 505 and I had no puckers at all.
    I agree with this. I was just trying to quilt a top + fleece batting + back, and ran out of spray baste. The top shifted a little too much for my taste. I only did one side and the rest will have to wait until I am able to pick up spray baste. I'm sitting here deciding if I want to undo all the quilting I already did.

I've used fleece inside several quilts. One was for my nephew, and he drags that thing around all the time. I'll be over there this weekend, so I'll have to check it out to see how it's holding up.
    ~hannajo~
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

Excuse my ignorance, but does fleece "pill up"?

tenngal- somewhere in this thread there's mention of pilling; I forget which post #...BUT...the Glacier at Hancock says "Anti-Pill" so with that in mind, I would venture to guess there are ones that do, and ones that don't (and probably all that don't would (I ASSUME) state so on the packaging).

I have used fleece for batting. The quilts that are going to be washed a lot like children's quilts or nursing home throws wash and dry a lot faster.

Why didn't I think of this? Sounds like a great idea for some things. I've used Minkee for the backing on some of my quilts and it's wonderful but never thought to use fleece.

I just found out this last weekend that there is fusible fleece for this reason!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast