Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using homespun plaids for boys quilts >

Using homespun plaids for boys quilts

Using homespun plaids for boys quilts

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Selina, No I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to the homespun fabric. It holds up well, I am using one of the TT homespun quilts as a couch cover to protect my new couch from Chihuahua damage. It's been washed many times and is still in great shape. :thumbup:
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 PM

Here is a homespun rag quilt I made for grandson graduation, I like the way it turned out better than flannel. It ragged nicely.
the nice thing about using plain squares mine were 7" that finished at 5" is you can just add rows on bottom or side as you need to enlarge.
Post a picture when you get them done.
Keolika
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152997.jpe   attachment-152998.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 PM

Would plaid FLANNELS work well with a Turning 20 quilt? I have a ton of old PJ bottoms that I 'collect' from goodwill if they are name brand, 100% and XL sized. Pre-shrunk flannel cottons, super soft! Been wondering what kinda of quilt to use them on...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I've been collecting homespun plaids too. I have a book on quilting with plaids, but I can't find it right now. I've got a couple of other quilts I have to do first.
I have made one quilt and used a plaid. It wasn't homespun. But I cut the fabric with the grain and not the lines on the plaid. I may have to take them out of the quilt because the lines not being straight really bother me.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 AM

At my local quilt shop they have a blue jean/homespun rag quilt when I went to another lqs for some autism material they had a bag of homespun parts and pieces so I bought it and I already have bought and washed 40 pairs of mens jeans gotta love yard sales and goodwill for those, going to do a rag quilt with the two materials made into hst and rag the quilt. Have jean dresses and skirts for the backing on the jean car quilts I'm going to make for the kids this summer
Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Your quilts are gorgeous. If I had to pick one, there's something about the second one that keeps drawing my attention. It looks so tailored. Great job!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Don't make it too complicated. I just finished a homespun quilt that drove me nuts because of all the small pieces. One piece of advice from a sewer: don't get hung up on making all of the plaids "straight" they look just fine if they are a little "off".
Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 PM

I think so. There aren't any small pieces and that can be a problem with flannels (depends on the fabric). Turning 20 is using 20 fat quarters and I think you cut 4 - 5 pieces out of each fq. Another idea would be to use them pieced together in 10" squares or so as the back of a quilt. I love flannel backs and use it with cotton or flannel tops. Very cozy. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by kwendt
Would plaid FLANNELS work well with a Turning 20 quilt? I have a ton of old PJ bottoms that I 'collect' from goodwill if they are name brand, 100% and XL sized. Pre-shrunk flannel cottons, super soft! Been wondering what kinda of quilt to use them on...
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM

I'm quite interested in this thread as I love homespuns and have been collecting a fats each time I go to the Mennonite fabric shops.

The pictures that have been shared are beautiful - guess I might move this up on my "to do" list!

My concern is the loose weave that they have... Is this a problem up the road? Should I be washing & drying on hot before using them?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Eddie..I love your quilts, too.