Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using homespun plaids for boys quilts >

Using homespun plaids for boys quilts

Using homespun plaids for boys quilts

Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I think so. There aren't any small pieces and that can be a problem with flannels (depends on the fabric). Turning 20 is using 20 fat quarters and I think you cut 4 - 5 pieces out of each fq. Another idea would be to use them pieced together in 10" squares or so as the back of a quilt. I love flannel backs and use it with cotton or flannel tops. Very cozy. Just a thought.
A good thought. I like it. :D I had been thinking about doing a Large Squared flannel top backed with fleece, tied. For use as a sofa back throw at camp or to snuggle under on chilly nights. The was the original purpose to collecting the PJ's. Mere penny's for a least a 1/2 yard of pre-washed/shrunk flannel.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gelswood
Don't make it too complicated. I just finished a homespun quilt that drove me nuts because of all the small pieces. One piece of advice from a sewer: don't get hung up on making all of the plaids "straight" they look just fine if they are a little "off".
Amen to that. At one of my fav LQS hang outs, I saw an experienced quilter purposefully put her homespun plaid patches just a little off in a quilt. It was a bed sized, and had homespun as an accent, prob. less than 10% of the pieced top. The pieces she DID use though, were so interesting when placed alongside the others (blenders, calicos, tone on tones and prints). It was a 'scrap' quilt effect... and even though she wasn't using real scraps to make it :lol: , it had that 'look' to it. Partially cause of the slightly off line plaid pieces.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
Your quilts are gorgeous. If I had to pick one, there's something about the second one that keeps drawing my attention. It looks so tailored. Great job!
Yes, I've already got Eddies 2nd quilt down as a 'must do' quilt after all the others I've already got pulled and lined up. LOL. It's funny, I had someone give me a package of charms, layer cakes and other square pieces... and I didn't have a clue what to do with them. Now I know!

For me, I suspect I like the contrast and crispness of that 2nd one....
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Here is a raggy quilt I made using homespun and floral cotton print in a trip around the world pattern. You could substitute some other pattern of fabric for the floral for a boys quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154260.jpe  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Here's some pics of things that I've made with homespuns for "manly" quilts.
These are wonderful!!! I love the first one. :)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM

Barb..I love your quilt!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 AM

I found a great pattern in Quick Quilts about 8 years ago that I used for my first "manly" quilt. It was so much fun collecting the plaids, I felt like a kid in a candy store. The block is a flying dove variation with a simple muslin print and some subtle geometrics. The back is pieced flannel and was quilted in large sections. I titled it "Oh my God, they sent my sone to Bosnia". Beware, you will get hooked on homespuns. LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 AM

I was thinking a Turning Twenty pattern, then saw Mary's lovely picture. I believe that is an excellant pattern to 'grow' with the boys.
Somethinglike the Overall Sam is ok, but at thirteen, he won't want his friends to see him using it.
All the others are great, too.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 AM

There is a picture posted today that I really like. It is My 1st B & W posted by Kmschir. Check this out and see if you think it would be a good pattern for my homespun plaids.
Thanks, Peggy
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM

I see a lot of good ideas here.
I'm attaching another, from a recent local show. I thought it was really nice. I'm pretty sure it was all plaids, but not necessarily homespuns.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163206.jpe