Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using Retayne in high efficiency washer? >

using Retayne in high efficiency washer?

using Retayne in high efficiency washer?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I have had FL machines most of my life and have never, ever had a problem with any of them smelling or leaking. I bought a TL after my divorce, because it was cheaper, and couldn't wait to get back to a FL.

That said, all my FLs have been 240V models with internal heaters and it is my understanding that there can be problems if only the cold temperature wash cycles are used.

Check your manuals carefully. Some makes and models do allow you to add extra water on certain cycles. Also, most of the models with heaters do not use them on all cycles. The laundry forum on gardenweb.com is a great place to find out what the capabilities are of any given machine.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
I think the biggest mistake I have ever made with a washing machine was buying a front loader you can't even stop it and open the door to throw in that darn sock you found under the couch right after you started the wash. I have told my husband that I want a second washer top loader so I can soak things and, or stop and open in mid cycle, I told him a used one would be fine. He seems to think I am out of my mind, but I have complained so much about the new washer he has caved and is looking on craigslist for a top loader for me.
Not all FLs are the same. I can, and do, add items to my machine after starting the wash, and was able to do the same with my previous FL also.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
bjr

chiaraquilts, I need to cut my electric bill in half, what brand is your front loader?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
bjr

chiaraquilts
Oops, I meant high efficiency TOP loader.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM

I have had my Maytag Neptune FL since 1999......never had a smell come from it and have even washed horse blankets in it (with no after smell). I can push the start/stop button for 5 minutes after it has started to add something else. It does not have a soak cycle.........but pre-soaking in the sink works for me. Also, Retayne is for commercially dyed fabrics and Synthrapol is for hand dyed fabrics (ie. batiks). I have not used either product in the past but since I made a totally batik quilt, I plan on using the Syntrapol on it once the LQS gets her order in, and I guess I'll pre-soak in the laundry tub.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sewze
I have had my Maytag Neptune FL since 1999......never had a smell come from it and have even washed horse blankets in it (with no after smell). I can push the start/stop button for 5 minutes after it has started to add something else. It does not have a soak cycle.........but pre-soaking in the sink works for me. Also, Retayne is for commercially dyed fabrics and Synthrapol is for hand dyed fabrics (ie. batiks). I have not used either product in the past but since I made a totally batik quilt, I plan on using the Syntrapol on it once the LQS gets her order in, and I guess I'll pre-soak in the laundry tub.
My FL has also been used for washing a lot of horse blankets, saddle pads and leg wraps, lol. One day, if I manage to win the lottery, I will buy one of the Miele professional machines specifically designed to do horse laundry ;-)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM

I asked about using it in our front loader and was told to soak the fabric in a sink or bucket as it wouldn't work in the front loader.

Cheers, K
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

thanks for the correct info. I have never heard of either of those products and did not know that they should be used. How would you know what fabrics require this? I do not know enough about fabrics and so far have not run into this problem.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

I also love my energy efficient front loading washer. It gets my clothes clean with cheap detergent. I can add a forgotten item if I need to, and it spins them so well the dryer doesn't take long. I have never used Retayne, but I have used white vinegar in this machine. I don't know that it made a difference that it didn't soak.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM

DITTO to this reply. Love my top loader with pause and can add also.
Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Sorry, but I have a HE front loader and love it. It has a soak cycle and you can add clothes during the inital wash. It has a light that signals how long you can add clothes. You can also stop or pause it just by pushing the pause button. Never used Retayne so can't speak to that.