Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using Retayne in high efficiency washer? >

using Retayne in high efficiency washer?

using Retayne in high efficiency washer?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I agree. I hate my front loader, plus it stinks!! Always needing to run a cycle with the unstink stuff. So far I know of three different brands you can buy for this, so they can't tell me this isn't a problem. As soon as I can, it's going out the door.
Originally Posted by BMP
I have a front loader (HATE it) mine does not have a soak if I want to soak anything I have to pause it and set a timer to remind me to go and turn it back on to finish the cycle. If I have to ever buy another machine I will go back to a top loader.

for the stinky machine, leave the door open after your last wash, it works like a charm.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM

I love my front loader and will never go back to a top loader, because it is super energy efficient, and also because it uses significantly less water than a regular top loader. It also washes like a dream. I never use a soak cycle, so no problem there for me. I don't pre-wash fabrics unless they are red, but I do use a color catcher sheet. I
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM

so far I love my front loaders. They clean so well and almost dry when done washing. I did forget a sock, paused it, then added with no problem. I had to clean my old machine sometimes. My FL seems so much cleaner and the clothes alot brighter. I think I'll use ratayne in the sink. I don't use the stuff very often though. I don't soak but with this washer I didn't think you needed to.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bjr
chiaraquilts
Oops, I meant high efficiency TOP loader.
We have the Maytag Bravos quiet series, got them at Home Depot. Our electric rates are sky high here (Massachusetts) and the savings are amazing! I am really happy with the HE washer, yes, I use the cleaning cycle once a month, no big deal. The savings on detergent are also impressive. My old washer averaged 40 gallons of water per load, this one uses 7!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Actually, Retayne is for any fabric (commercially dyed, batik, home-dyed). It is designed to permanently set the dye into fabric so the dye doesn't "bleed" out. Retayne would be used on a fabric before it is put into a quilt. You would never use Retayne on a finished quilt because it would permanently set any bleeds into other fabrics.

Synthrapol is different. It is designed to suspend any unset dye particles in water so they are rinsed away and don't get a chance to settle into fabric. It also can be used on any fabric (commercial, batik, home-dyed), but its purpose is different. If you are washing a quilt, you use Synthrapol to prevent mild bleeds from settling into other fabrics. It is sort of an "insurance policy" first wash.

Synthrapol is often used for home-dyed fabrics after the dyes are set, to wash out any unset dye particles. Fabric can become saturated with more dye than the fabric fibers can absorb; washing with Synthrapol will allow those dye particles to be rinsed away without affecting other fabrics.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
e4

I have an LG High Efficiency Front Loader (that I love) that has a short soak cycle that probably wouldn't work well with Retayne. However, I do use Retayne in my Front Loader whenever I dye fabric (at least half a dozen times a year). I simply use the sanitary cycle (heats the water and takes about 40 minutes so plenty long enough). It fills with enough water (if it doesn't I add some through the detergent drawer) and I have not had any problems. I've never had a fabric that bled after doing this - I dye cottons, silks, and wools so use different types of dyes also. I absolutely love my front loader, find that it washes clothes cleaner, and doesn't beat them up like my top of the line Top Loader did. To each his own - use what works for you.

I also use Synthrapol occasionally on purchased fabrics that have bled, but you have to be careful because it creates a lot of suds (a few drops of Syntrapol is all you need) and that could ruin an HE washer. Just a few drops.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM

I would guess some people might notice a smell if they don't air out the machine after washing. I just leave the door open while the clothes are drying & then open up the dispenser to ensure air can flow into it between wash loads (hubby's working overseas right now, so I only do a load/wk). Mine's an LG & I've never had issues w/ leaking or odor. I've added things to mine after starting a load w/ no issues. My DIL got a HE front-loader that has the steam option in the dryer - quite handy, but my salesman discouraged it. So I got the steam option in the washer. I would think that would kills any bacteria that could possibly cause any smells. I think I'd use chemicals by soaking manually in a tub then put in the dryer - seriously, how often would you need to bother with it?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 AM

Prism99 - You do an excellent job of explaining Retayne and Synthrapol. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what is used for what. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM

We recently purchsed a Maytag Bravo top-loader and I love it. Clothes come out much cleaner and less wrinkles. I've never tried Retayne or Synthrapol, but appreciate all the info on both for when I DO need it!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 AM

I LOVE my HE front loader