Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a rotary cutter >

Using a rotary cutter

Using a rotary cutter

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM

I hope I'm not posting this twice. Anyway, when I use my rotary cutter I have a problem with my ruler slipping. I do apply alot of pressure because I'm cutting several layers at a time. Is that what I'm doing wrong, cutting too many layers at a time? I would LOVE to have good straight strips, squares, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I can't cut more then three layers without mine slipping. I usually just cut two.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM

I usually don't cut more than two layers, but more often I just cut one layer at a time. I feel I have more control.

I have a suction cup handle that I affix to my ruler when I cut and that seems to help the ruler not move so much. Another thing I use to make my rulers not slip so much is a pair of 8 pound (each) hand barbells, placed on the ruler when I cut. That much extra weight on the ruler makes it much more stable and less likely to move. It is more time consuming though to move the barbells each time I move the ruler and fabric.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM

I used to have that problem. I first purchased these little adhesive dots that reminded me of sand paper...but I hated those. Then, I found, at a local quilt shop, a plastic that you put on the underside of your rulers and they do not slip as easily. It's made especially for putting on your rulers so they won't slip. I'm sorry but I do not remember the name of the product. It came in a roll and you just cut the pieces you need for your rulers. Cut them about 1/4" shy from each edge for the most perfect fit! It's clear so it does not affect the ability to see through the rulers! Hope this helps!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 AM

I work along a wall and push my ruler up against it making sure it is totally perpendicular to the wall. Then I line up my fabric underneather the ruler by moving the mat. I don't have any trouble with the ruler moving when I make my cuts as long I keep it pushed against the wall. Good luck with your striping and . . . !
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Don't try to cut along the whole length of the ruler with one cut. Use your little finger on the left side of the ruler (assuming that you are right handed) and cut part way then move your hand forward and cut the rest of the way. Don't lift the cutter.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 AM

When I was learning to rotary cut I did the same thing. A quilter told me to have my other hand crawl up along with the rotary cutter. I had to go a little slower but it worked. With practice I didn't need to do it this way any longer.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM

I put grippers (TrueGrips) on the corners of my rulers and I have also used sandpaper. I also use a woodworkers clamp to hold my ruler but that is due to a bad left shoulder which hurts too much to apply pressure to the ruler. I had forgotten about placing the end of the ruler against the wall, but I used to do that and it helped also. I know someone on here can tell you the name of the product that is applied to the back of the ruler because I've seen it mentioned several times. I'm sure it's available from JoAnn's.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Oh man, what great replies. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try all of them and hopefully I'll be able to see a difference. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM

It's called invisigrip.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1883