Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a rotary cutter >

Using a rotary cutter

Using a rotary cutter

Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Don't try to cut along the whole length of the ruler with one cut. Use your little finger on the left side of the ruler (assuming that you are right handed) and cut part way then move your hand forward and cut the rest of the way. Don't lift the cutter.
That's how I do it and it works beautifully. I can cut up to four layers that way, but no more than that. Edie
Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 AM

I only cut 2 layers at a time. All rulers have the sandpaper dots placed on all 4 corners and about every 2 inches around the edges....the only drawback is that you have to pick up the ruler to make a second cut but it will NOT slip on you!!

jodi in leavenworth
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Many like to fold the fabric twice: matching selvedges the first time, and then bringing the fold up to the selvedge again. This does not work for me, so I prefer using a single fold, which I keep closest to me. Using the rulers with a lip, (Olipfa makes one and Olfa does now, too), I keep the lip on the edge of the mat closest to the fold and use the first line on the ruler to line up on that fold. This keeps away the dreaded "V" cuts.

I also cut dots from fine sandpaper using an ordinary hole punch from the office supply (they are very inexpensive) and glue them on the back of all my rulers right behind the numbers, and I put them along both long edges. They are on all four sides of my square rulers. Gluing them with rubber cement is best, but if I am out, I will use a glue
stick.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:32 AM

I think the most layers I cut was 8 with no slippage (when an absolute perfect edge wasn't necessary), and I regularly cut 4-6 at a time to make 1" strips!

When I'm cutting this many layers I only use one specific ruler - a "Quilters Rule". All of the horizontal and vertical rule lines are raised on the bottom of the ruler and these raised lines grip the fabric in both directions. The upside is no slippage. The downside is if your cutting lots of 1" strips you have to pick the ruler up nd place it back down - you can't slide it across the fabric to the next cut line. The other downside is that I've only had the ruler 4 years and it needs to be replaced - the edge of it has lots of nick marks from the blade. Cheap plastic.

Don't cut more than the length of your flattened palm on the ruler. Gently pick up your palm (NOT your cutter), replace palm further up, continue cutting.

A sharp blade is absolutely necessary.

Also, the more layers you cut the easier it becomes to allow your rotary cutter to "slant" in or out, so you have to be more careful to keep your rotary cutter perpendicular to the cutting surface.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 AM

I use the ruler with the lip. (Just bought a 4 x 36" Olipfa from Overstock.com for around $13.00) Never slips. I still use my shorter 3 x 18 with lip for short cuts, but the ruler markings have, alas, worn off after years of use.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 AM

I also have a problem with my ruler slipping. I have found that if I cut my fabric in smaller sections then cut out my square or strip the ruler does not slip on me as all the fabric is under the ruler. Jeanniebelle
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I haven't tried it yet, but a friend of mine says the clear vinyl you buy by the yard off the roll at Walmart works just as good as the invisigrip and is a lot cheaper. The thinner the better.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM

When I cut, the pinkie of my left hand is always resting on the opposite side of the ruler so that it won't move over; also, I don't cut one long sweep, I cut in two movements so I can move my hand up higher on the ruler, thus securing it up high with my pinkie so it won't move.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM

This works for me. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a glass pane suction cup handle. Less than $6 . The kind you use to move window glass panes with. I put those on my larger rulers. It gives me more leverage and the ruler doesn't slip. Also using non slip rulers helps. I can cut several layers this way. Also a very sharp blade helps. But there is a limit on how many layers you can cut accurately.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 AM

When my ruler slips it is usually because I angled the blade INTO the ruler instead of ALONG SIDE the ruler :(