Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using a rotary cutter >
  • Using a rotary cutter

• Using a rotary cutter

Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Hold your pinky on the fabric but still touching the outside edge of the ruler. It will help to stabilize it and keep it from slipping.
    Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM

I use invisa grip.
    Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
    When I cut, the pinkie of my left hand is always resting on the opposite side of the ruler so that it won't move over; also, I don't cut one long sweep, I cut in two movements so I can move my hand up higher on the ruler, thus securing it up high with my pinkie so it won't move.
    do the same thing. I cut 4 layers at time with almost no problems. I also put a lot of pressure on the ruller. You must pay attention to your cutting and not try to go to fast. Also try to stand in front of your ruler so you are moving your arm in straight line and not at angle.
    Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM

You might be cutting too many layers, using a ruler thats too big. Also you can put those little circle grips on your rulers, they are little dots of sand paper or a clear rubber that grip the fabric better making it slip less. I love them
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:16 PM

I have a ruler with a lip that kinda locks it to the cutting mat since then I do better
    Old 02-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
    I used to have that problem. I first purchased these little adhesive dots that reminded me of sand paper...but I hated those. Then, I found, at a local quilt shop, a plastic that you put on the underside of your rulers and they do not slip as easily. It's made especially for putting on your rulers so they won't slip. I'm sorry but I do not remember the name of the product. It came in a roll and you just cut the pieces you need for your rulers. Cut them about 1/4" shy from each edge for the most perfect fit! It's clear so it does not affect the ability to see through the rulers! Hope this helps!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
    Hugo's Amazing Tape

Cynthia
    Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

Be sure you are holding your cutter straight. If it leans a bit, it will push the ruler over. I became so aggravated one day at the slipping ruler, I rubbed some craft stick glue along one edge of the ruler. Let it dry well. It seldom slips now.
    Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM

I put my pinky finger on the fabric on the other side of the ruler and walk my hand up the ruler as I cut. Putting a finger off the ruler really helped me.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 PM

I have trouble holding the ruler still while cutting - especially if it is 3 or 4 layers thick or more. I got some of the plastic clamps at Home Depot or Lowe's like you use to clamp things when working on wood or whatever. I
    line up my ruler on my fabric; clamp 1 end of the ruler to the cutting table edge; hold like I normally would; and it holds it quite nicely. You have to have things close enough to the edge of the table so the clamp can reach it, but it is a big help. I also use the clamps when I am layering a quilt top to hold things still until I get it pinned. The clamps are not expensive. Seems like I paid about a $1 or $1.50 each.
    Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Put some plastic grippy things on the bottom side of your rule - sand paper dots work as well.