Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vent: Joann's Store >

Vent: Joann's Store

Vent: Joann's Store

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Hugs....ours has really great girls, but they are always so short staffed....I know its hard on them!
We have a grocery store near me, that has the meanest ladies. I wontgo there, hate the huffing and puffing when you ask about a wrong price or something!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pab58
I'm so sorry you had such a terrible experience! :cry: Personally, after the nasty attitude of the manager I would have marched back in with my bag(s) in hand and told him I wanted my money back!!! Then after I got back home I would have written to the corporate offices and told them of my experience! Not that corporate would do anything about it, but at least you would have registered your complaint. The JoAnn stores around here seem to be dropping like flies! One of the reasons could be because of their lousy customer service! 8-)
Can't return cut fabric... Been there done that. I called once a long time ago to corporate or the customer service line, can't remember, and they said they would contact that store's district manager.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Having worked at a JA before, I still don't understand why it is anymore difficult to cut one person's many choices, than many people's one choice. You are doing the same thing over and over for your shift anyway.

I loved helping the quilters because their fabric was easier to cut, rather than some of the kooky novelty fabrics. Faux fur is the the devil ;-)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM

I just keep reading all the horror stories about JoAnns on here and have decided a couple of thing.
Since we have a store opening up this summer I will:
Take a calculator and pen and paper with me to write down what my fabric SHOULD cost.
Ring up coupon items as a seperate order.
Pay very close attention when the register rings me up.
Stand in the middle of the store and scream if I need help!
Carol B
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
I just keep reading all the horror stories about JoAnns on here and have decided a couple of thing.
Since we have a store opening up this summer I will:
Take a calculator and pen and paper with me to write down what my fabric SHOULD cost.
Ring up coupon items as a seperate order.
Pay very close attention when the register rings me up.
Stand in the middle of the store and scream if I need help!
Carol B
Hehehe you'll be fine! Always check receipts and pricing! I do that all the time when I go grocery shopping! Geez, I should have done that for fabric shopping as well! I like JoAnn's especially the clearance section! I'm not giving up on them totally, just can't frequent it as often since I'll be going to the farther one :) Have fun shopping when the store opens up!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM

I do like that JoAnns gives a NICE teacher discount. I think that if they didn't do that, I probably would not purchase fabric there. However, I do like their sales and rarely shop there unless I know what I want is on sale.

On a different note, MANAGERS make all the difference. I was treated SO rudely on the phone by the manager once that I called corporate. She had so many complaints that they let her go, so she decided she would start a campaign to get rid of the new manager (because she thought he put people up to getting rid of her!) We (as in all my friends that shop there) LOVE the new manager. He has had his share of issues because some people cannot separate his being gay from how great a job he does. However, he is an absolute RIOT and I love going in when he works because I know I am in for a laugh or two. He also has been very good at rectifying issues with prices/receipt concerns. I told him I wanted to call corporate and tell them what a great job he was doing, but he was afraid that they might think he put me up to it because of what the previous manager did to try to get him fired. I really feel for the pressure the managers are under to please the customers and corporate. (As in RARELY getting a full yard of material when they cut! I usually come home with 35" instead of 36" and it is rarely cut straight so I lose another inch squaring it up.)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Oh gosh. I have been to one Joann's about an hour from here. Two in the Atlanta suburbs and one in Puyallup, WA, and haven't encountered anything amiss. I even tried to use the bathrooms since that horror story was circulating and had no problem anywhere. I guess I just picked the right days to go. I've only had one bad experience in the local Hancock's and that was indirect. The young girl cutting fabric was complaining about the management to the customers!!! She must have gotten her act together because I've seen her there since. But, I am wary every time I go into one of these store.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM

I hate JA's. I generally buy off line when I can. Plus they wouldn't give me a teacher discount because they said I had to show my union card. (I don't belong to the union) but when I showed them my pay stub and business card, the manager said I could have forged it.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I was at Joann's today and also last night. It was so hot in there I grabbed my stuff and ran!! :D
But I got what I wanted, that's the good part. I didn't bother asking the clerks questions- I asked other customers!!
i laughed when i read this one. there is a certain very large and famous store in our town. i can usually tell customers where to find something faster than some of the employees can.

either they are too new, or i've shopped there too often. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM

You must be one patient lady, it took 2 years? I will not shop somewhere that gives poor service, I don't care if I have to drive 40 or 50 miles. Strokes run in my family, it is not worth getting so upset. Hope you feel better, throw something.