Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very interesting  but true >

Very interesting but true

Very interesting but true

Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM

Some people really enjoy patchwork but not the quilting. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially since I'm a long arm quilter!😊
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM

...hohum.......call me anything you like but don't call me late for dinner! This sounds so typically academic...full of minutia(sp)....I'm leaving now to go " play"
Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 PM

To me she is a quilter who does piecework. Quite a feat in itself.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I hate to state the obvious but sitting in a field of hay is not what makes a farmer a farmer. My husband is a full time farmer. He repairs tractors, tunes them up, plants, harvests, hauls the grain, dries it, feeds some of it to the animals. He fixes things around the farm-equipment, fences, etc. He feeds livestock daily, plants, fertilizes and cuts hay, bales it. Hauls it, stacks it, etc. He never just "sits in a hay field".

at any rate, I quilt my own quilts so therefore I must be a quilter.
A friend of mine does most of that, but when harvest time comes, he hires it out. Someone else comes in with a monster sized machine and does the finishing work. (Ever see those monsters out in a wheat field side by side? It is just crazy!) He still considers himself a farmer.

Most who piece don't really sit around in a pile of fabric waiting for a pieced top to appear! Lol!

I do both. Sometimes I piece a top and send it out for quilting, and sometimes I quilt it myself. It depends on the size and what I think is needed for the project. I think of both as quilting.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Do we call a computer-quilted quilt, a quilter? We can buy those at most home retailers. But computer generated quilting is part of our process of quilting. I use a LA if it is in the budget because they can do a much better job of quilting than I can. I could never compete with a computer-generated quilt but I do love them and they make my "piecing" much more lovely!! And a LAer that does custom work is even more special. I have done some quilting on my DSM but not big quilts. However, no matter how my quilt is completed, I consider myself a quilter...
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS View Post
A friend of mine does most of that, but when harvest time comes, he hires it out. Someone else comes in with a monster sized machine and does the finishing work. (Ever see those monsters out in a wheat field side by side? It is just crazy!) He still considers himself a farmer.

Most who piece don't really sit around in a pile of fabric waiting for a pieced top to appear! Lol!

I do both. Sometimes I piece a top and send it out for quilting, and sometimes I quilt it myself. It depends on the size and what I think is needed for the project. I think of both as quilting.
I'd say if he does any of that, he's a farmer. My husband has hired someone to cut beans or wheat once in a while. Mainly if we're running late or bad weather is looming and we have to get it out quickly. That only happens once in a great while though. I could count on one hand the total number of times we've hired out combining in the past 20+ years.

On our tax forms we are both called farmers. I don't do any farming at all (well I gather the eggs and help dh move equipment) but I guess it counts for Uncle Sam.

On a side note-I guess the current thing is to not call someone who sews a sewer because it's spelled like the place where waste goes. lol. We are all sewists (which to me sounds really weird) or seamstresses, which sounds kind of stuffy.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I'd say if he does any of that, he's a farmer. My husband has hired someone to cut beans or wheat once in a while. Mainly if we're running late or bad weather is looming and we have to get it out quickly. That only happens once in a great while though. I could count on one hand the total number of times we've hired out combining in the past 20+ years.

On our tax forms we are both called farmers. I don't do any farming at all (well I gather the eggs and help dh move equipment) but I guess it counts for Uncle Sam.

On a side note-I guess the current thing is to not call someone who sews a sewer because it's spelled like the place where waste goes. lol. We are all sewists (which to me sounds really weird) or seamstresses, which sounds kind of stuffy.
oh my! I've never noticed sewer vs sewer! Lol!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 AM

...and God bless us -one and all!.....as Tiny TIm would say
Old 10-28-2014, 04:37 AM

I think we're all fabric artists! I design my own patterns, piece my own tops, quilt my own quilts on my longarm (now that my hands no longer allow me to do the hand quilting I used to love to do), and do my own labels and binding. But I think every single stage is also done by other artists who only do one or a few of those things. And who's to say which, if any, of those is the most important? I would guess it's the thing that gives you JOY! Isn't that why we quilt to begin with??
Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Thumbs down ????

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
At our last guild meeting a new member introduced herself as a "Piecer". She said she pieces all her uilt tops and then sends them to a friend to quilt. Since she has never actually quilted a top, she said she is a piecer. If I grow a lot of green beans in my garden and then give them to a friend to can for me, am I a grower or a canner. If I piece a quilt but send it out to be quilted, I have not participated in the quilting process. I know many of you "quilters" will disagree but sitting a a field of hay does not make me a farmer but a sitter.
So what is your point?She can call herself anything she wants.With your attitude do you think she will be back to your guild?