Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very interesting  but true >

Very interesting but true

Very interesting but true

Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 AM

I think she's entitled to call herself whatever she wants, but I WOULD consider her a quilter. Why? It's right here in the initial post:

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
She said she pieces all her quilt tops and then sends them to a friend to quilt.
What is she piecing? A quilt top. IMO, that makes her a quilter, even if she never "quilts" it herself. If she was piecing a patchwork skirt then sending it off to someone else to add elastic or something, I'd call her a garment maker and not a quilter. But if it's a quilt top, she's a quilter as far as I am concerned.

It does make sense to me to delineate jobs when labeling a group work quilt ("pieced by Jane Doe, quilted by Sandy Doe") but for the purposes of describing my hobby, if all I did was quilt tops, I'd still call myself a quilter.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
What an interesting thought. Kind of off the subject, but I was in a group where a gal introduced herself as a beginner. She said she began lots of projects that never got done.
That is a good one..............
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Piecing a quilt is the most important part in the makings of a good quilt. If she does that well, she can consider herself a quilter. I once worked in a sewing factory that made gloves. We each sewed different pieces onto the gloves as an assembley line. But, the finished product was a glove. We were considered glove makers even though we only were responsible for one section of the glove. Am I making sense?
Yes, you sure are making sense! Glove maker you are. A quilter I am. I don't like putting the layers together, I do it, but don't relish that part of making a quilt. Stitich in the Ditch is my nemesis (sp?). I hate every minute of it. I have the special foot, too. When one gets down to the nitty gritty of it all, I'm a piecer by heart, a quilter by default! LOL.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
So what is your point?She can call herself anything she wants.With your attitude do you think she will be back to your guild?
There are always a new members that joins my guild that say things that irk me but I'm sure the poster does what I do, just smile and say welcome but in her mind thinks she's nuts.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Piecing a quilt is the most important part in the makings of a good quilt. If she does that well, she can consider herself a quilter. I once worked in a sewing factory that made gloves. We each sewed different pieces onto the gloves as an assembley line. But, the finished product was a glove. We were considered glove makers even though we only were responsible for one section of the glove. Am I making sense?
But then, there are whole cloth quilters, no piecing involved, only quilting?????
Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 AM

I consider myself a quiltmaker--people can understand that as they choose to.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Well said.

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Why must we attach a label to ourselves? Aren't we all here to enjoy and share the experience of creating something unique?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Of course you are all correct. Don't be too hard on the lady though! I actually started calling myself a piecer awhile back for the same reason! I really was saying it tongue in cheek. But I do wonder why some would actually take offense at that? It never occurred to me that someone would be offended by my light hearted admission that although I had been piecing for 30 years, I had not actually ever finished a quilt! Lol. Soon to change though since I just bought a new long arm.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Thread Title: "Very Interesting But True".

what i find to be beyond interesting is that anyone would take any sort of offense - let alone get huffy - because somebody else sees herself one way or another.

it's at least fascinating.

...but not conducive to a lighthearted consideration of the differing perspectives among those of us who work on quilts.

time to close.