Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VERY user friendly machine >

VERY user friendly machine

VERY user friendly machine

Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JudeWill View Post
I have a question. What did your classes consist of? I bought a Bernina 730 & the classes consisted mostly of her showing me what the machine would do, not actually doing anything. I took notes, but I don't feel that was very helpful.
My classes consisted of doing every practice exercise in the workbooks that I posted a link to. The dealer provided the package of fabric samples and we attached the sample in the book as we completed the exercise. We also tried some techniques that called for a special foot not included with the machine and she would loan us those. Of course, trying a cool technique made a lot of people want to buy the extra foot, but you got a 15% discount for buying it on class day. We had 3 sessions of 4 hours each for the machine. There were different series of classes for the embroidery unit, the software and the serger. She also lets you take them again at any time. I know not every dealer does them as they are supposed to but it worthwhile to find out before you buy what kind of support you will be getting with your machine.

http://www.keizerbernina.com/my-bernina-workbooks.htm

Last edited by Skyangel; 05-23-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM

I have had a few Bernina's and still have one. I have always taken the classes from my dealer and if I don't remember how to do something I go back to the class again. I can attend as many times as I want to. Keep going to the classes until you are comfortable with your machine and you will like it.

Pat in MN
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I just read the manual and use it. Any machine is easy to use and all regular machines work the same. After sewing over 50 years, I don't take classes. Learned to sew in school and that was it.
Same here, never had a problem, if I did I read the book to get answers and off I went, but I am mechanally inclined, and refuse to let anything get the better of me.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM

I have a Bernina 440 and love it. I did take the classes offered and gained so much. I am sure with classes you will love your machine. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 AM

I wouldn't give up my Viking machines for 20 of another brand.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 AM

I have all Vikings, from the Diamond down , 5 Vikings. I was told by my dealer, who used to work with other brands, that she thought the Vikings were the easiest machines to learn and use. I LOVE them and wouldn't go to anything else, but I have to confess, I also have never used anything else but did have Singers at one time. Would never have a Singer machine again. Love the old ones, but not the newer ones. Using a sewing machine is like riding a bike or ice skating, practice practice practice. You have to keep trying new things, and then you will grow to love your machine.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:59 AM

I am a previous Bernina user and have switched to a top of the line Brother and have not looked back.

IMHO Bernina is just too highly engineered for the average sewer. The operating system in not user friendly.

I had my new Brother out of the box and edited and sewed a design in 2 hours. I was amazed. Read the manual for about half an hour. You cannot do this with a Bernina.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

newdoda, don't give up! I have the 640 also and would be willing to help you via email or phone. It really is a user friendly machine!!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:29 AM

I have a Babylock Crescendo which I bought while visiting in Atlanta and had it shipped to Wisconsin. I have no dealer nearby, but don't need one. The manual is extensive and the machine is extremely user friendly. It seems to operate intuitively, with clear icons and a gentle chime when I do something wrong--then it suggests what I should do. It also has a help menu on the hard drive which is easy to read on the large display. The sales person at the Atlanta Sewing Center where I bought the machine said that it is actually designed for newer sewers and is very supportive. I really love this machine and am very happy I bought it.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 185 and it was not at all user friendly when I bought it...You need to take lessons and learn the machine....