Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017 >

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 AM

Oh goody! Count me in! I love quilting weekends. It's fun to see what everyone else is up to. Thanks for hosting this.

What am I doing this weekend?

1. Reindeer pillow top. I followed a class on how to make "Dwight the Deer" and now I have one block completed. I want to try a few, new techniques on it, so I just made the one and plan to use it as a pillow when it's completed. The top is done...a few mistakes were made along the way, but it's still presentable. Next, I need to sandwich the quilt. I plan to use a quilt-as-you-go technique for removing part of the batting and then re-attaching it...a new thing for me.

2. Charity Quilt. I whipped this up yesterday and hope to send it to one of the charities distributing quilts to the Harvey disaster and possibly make another one to send to the CA wildfire victims. It's a very simple pattern that I just made up as I went along. Again, I want to try a couple of QAYG techniques on it, so the top is currently in sections and ready to sandwich.

3. Not a quilting project, but a curtain to hide all of my quilting stuff. I've made the curtain panels and now I have to attach the grommets to the curtains and hooks to the wall.

I'm in uncharted waters on all of these projects, so I'd love any tips and suggestions along the way. Gotta go to "Big Town" today to do the weekly shopping, but I'll be right in there tomorrow morning.

~ Cindy

Last edited by tropit; 09-01-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 AM

i found that hanging the strips on one of my drying racks was the easiest way to keep track of everything. I am piecing this on my 201 and the Featherweight card table next to me is pretty darn handy.

Raggiemom - thanks for heading this up again
Oh...what a good idea! I have one of those drying racks and I haven't yet found enough purposes to make me want to keep it in the house all of the time. I occasionally use it to dry homemade pasta. My sewing work area is so compact and tiny. Your idea really helps to save space when working on a quilt. Now, I just need a clever place to store the rack.

~ Cindy
Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Sewbizgirl...that top is gorgeous! I love the colors that you chose!

~ Cindy
Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 AM

Not quite as ambitious plans here, but I am working on hand big stitch quilting for the first time. I have 3" hexagons in a scrappy blue quilt that has finally worked itself to the top of the pile. I love seeing and hearing what everyone is working on.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:37 AM

KristaKZ...Your peacock is amazing! We have a Buddhist University near us. We go there to have lunch in their Cafe occasionally...yummy food. They have lots of peacocks wandering around the campus, which is pretty cool. Yours looks just like them!

~ C
Old 09-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Wow! I love the pictures posted and the ideas shared.

Good luck to everyone with their weekend plans.

I serged some diaper pads (used for babies to lay on when changing them) and 24" squares for diaper bag pockets this morning. I also cut more pockets. I am trying to use up a large tub of polyester fabric for the squares.

I hope to get my 9 patch blocks done for my Rest and Refreshing block of the week quilt top.

Connie
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Macybaby, your quilt is looking so good! I'm making some progress with my Christmas quilt. The colors are kind of different for Christmas.[ATTACH=CONFIG]579876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 AM

yea! lots of friends to sew with for the weekend!

Got almost half of my blocks done and am taking a lunch break with DH now. One of my sewing companions (Frank) would love to go for another walk, but it started raining so he's out of luck for a while. We have enough shelter he can go out to take care of business if needed, but he prefers when I take him out on the mowed paths in the tree line. He helps me get more exercise.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Count me in again. I do have a few projects ready to be worked on this weekend. I want to make another two sets of cobblestone blocks for the swap I'm doing with some friends. Then there are the quilting that needs to be done on my hubby's quilt (in my floor frame) and the mini quilt I've been working on (in my lap frame). Then there's my forever baskets. And after talking to my "other" daughter yesterday, I found out that the quilts I had made for her kids were lost in their move. Hmmmm ..... looks like I have to start looking at some quilt patterns too.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Hi everybody,
Have really enjoyed looking at the photos and reading all of your plans. Even if some of them exhausted me...ha,ha.
I'm headed two towns over tomorrow morning to pick up a yard or two of some fabric I need for a new project. I'm going to hand piece hexies, going round and round until I have something that's a decent size. At the very least I can make a little quilt to use at the top of my chair kind of like those doily things from the past. I can't remember the proper name. I'm going to use lodge-y type fabrics. I have two retreats this fall and this will be fun, relaxing and something I can do and talk at the same time.

Other than that, less fun stuff, laundry catch-up, some organizing. But I'll try to squeeze a walk in and some knitting too.