Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend—12/15-12/17/2017 >

Virtual quilting weekend—12/15-12/17/2017

Virtual quilting weekend—12/15-12/17/2017

Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 AM

I'm in!! I have 2 wall hangings to bind and a little girls purse to make this weekend. Then I think I am done.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
thanks Sewbiz- Don’t you love how fast those fleece hats work up? On the clothesline trivets- I use 100% cotton clothesline and wrap thin strings of leftover fabric around the clothesline as I go. Strings that range from 1/8” to 3/4” wide work best as anything wider can get lumpy when wrapping. And string length of at least 3” work best, though I have used shorter ones. I use a dab of glue to tac down the beginning of the string, then wrap, adding additional strings as needed until I’ve got a foot or so of the clothesline covered, then zigzag it in place.

Rob
Oh dear... a reason to save the little pieces I've been dropping into the garbage can!

On those hats, I actually lined them by sewing two hats of the same fabric together at the hemline and then turning through the opening in the crown of the lining piece, then stuffing the lining up into the outer hat. Then I topstitched around the bottom to keep the lining from rolling out there, and topstitched the inner crown opening closed... and they still were super fast!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
I plan to work on the next clue in the Bonnie Hunter mystery. So far, I am all caught up! Also tomorrow I am going to buy my Christmas present - a Janome coverstitch machine. I do enough hemming and mending on ready made clothing to justify (in my mind anyway LOL) the purchase.
A new toy! how fun for you, makes for a very happy holiday

I am in - I need to topstitch and quilt a few more microwave cozies for Christmas gifts and I am working on Bonnie Hunter's clue 4. First this morning, I am going to play with my new cookie press and give spritz cookies a try - yummmmm.

Last edited by tscweaves; 12-16-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:28 AM

Good Morning everyone!
Taking a quick break to check in and see what everyone is up to. Looking good so far many different projects and a number of Bonnie Hunter MQ's. I am just following along with looking at the mystery, most of Bonnie's quilts just don't appeal to my senses, I like scrappy but she is just a little to extreme for me. But I do like wild combinations so I will keep watching. I have been working on the chemo quilt that I hope to finish this weekend if I have enough sashing fabric. Here is a photo, some of you may recognize the pattern train ride #7! That's how long part of this has been sitting around.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585467[/ATTACH]
I'm only doing 4 large blocks in the center and then adding extra sashing on top and bottom to make it longer. I didn't have enough of the green to make it larger. The green fabric is about 18 years old and I can't match it. I'm just going to use a flannel sheet for the back and some wide stippling.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3921c.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That sounds like fun... I'd love to see them, if you would post pics when you get them made.
Here are the pj's. I learned to sew the buttons on with my machine And that sharpie marker comes out with rubbing alcohol (eventually). Sigh. Now to create some leggings and a little top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585471[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0907-600x800-.jpg   img_0907-600x800-.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Haven't done as much sewing as I should have, but have cleaned my sewing room so I can work easier! I did get two ornaments done this morning and am starting to square up some of the units for the chemo quilt. Here is a picture of the ornaments.
Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585419[/ATTACH]
and back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585420[/ATTACH]
Now on to more sewing
is there a name of/or pattern for the triangle ornament? i like unusual things
Old 12-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I hope you all can post pictures. I love looking at them. I don't have time this weekend to join as I am hosting our family Christmas dinner tomorrow. About 23 people. Then when they all leave I can look at all the pretties you all post. Please Please.... Merry Christmas and Hugs.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
is there a name of/or pattern for the triangle ornament? i like unusual things
Nancy, I don't know what its called or have a actual pattern, back in 2014 I was in the ornament swap on the board here. I received one from Anoka Quilter and figured it out by looking at it. Anoka should be able to get the real info to you, but what I did was cut 3 triangles (2 fabrics stacked right sides together) from a 4.5 strip of fabric. (60 deg ruler) sewed all around and left small opening to turn. First find center of unit. On one side sew all points together thread thru the middle to opposite side then stitch the center of the side to the center of this side. ( hope that makes sense?) I then slipped stitched the three units together. Then decorate as you want.
Better yet ask Anoka for the clear instructions.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Here's a link to a Christmas Tree Wall Hanging made out of those ornaments. I'm still trying to find a tutorial for you. https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=47&ajaxhist=0

Okay, here's a You-Tube video tutorial on those ornaments.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXu6ILYwZh4

Last edited by Judith1005; 12-16-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM

And, I'm still filling in quilted Flying Geese triangles, just like I was on the last VQW! I took a break because I was getting fed up with it. Almost done though, then on to echo quilting the whole works. Will attempt ot post a photo if I get the triangles done this weekend.

Watson